Gloom and Doom - counterproductive

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Gloom and Doom - counterproductive

Postby Spuffler » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:14 pm

I have to say that all the gloom and doom being heaped on everyone at the moment seems to me to be very counterproductive. No matter what you look at, TV, newspapers, soaps even, we're being fed a diet of gloom being heaped on doom being heaped on gloom. Surely we must now have one of the most demoralised populations in Europe? Someone ought to tell Cameron and Osborne that people don't work well when they aren't happy, when they are in fear for their jobs, and having to cope with an ever-dropping standard of living. We must have had a far worse situation in 1940 after Dunkirk, but then we had Churchill; despite his faults - and he had many - he inspired the population; this lot today would depress everyone so much they'd run up the white flag at the drop of a hat!

Why on earth can't we have something to cheer us all up? It used to be fun to watch Corrie or Emmerdale; now it's part of the diet of gloom - murder, rape, devious people, drugs; what on earth are they trying to do to us? Drive us to drink - oops, no - that'll be priced out of reach shortly. Drive us to suicide? This must surely be one of the worst countries for wallowing in a slough of despond to this extent. Have we really sunk so low that this is the best we can do?

Am I the only one to think like this?
Spuffler

Re: Gloom and Doom - counterproductive

Postby StevieG » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Spuffler, you are not alone in your reasoning as I have thought that this country has been going downhill for a long time & being of
a venerable age, can see things "aint what they used to be " but when you see the so called politicians feathering their nests, teenagers with not a cat in hells chance of a job, immigration control a joke and other anomalies, I can see why people cannot care less and want a future emigrating rather than being screwed all ends up in this country.
I despair when I wonder where things will finish up!!!!!!!! :fuming:
StevieG

Postby Spuffler » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi Stevie! :thumbsup: What really mystifies me is that quite a few people seem to think that it's right to go on like this! I've had it said to me that our people are paid too much - except those saying so, of course - and somehow it'll all come right by heaping on more misery.

What those who think like this seem not to understand is that we must have a decently paid and productive middle class, if we are to have services and the trappings of a modern state; and that the rich especially contribute little to the state. The rich keep their money, whilst the poor don't have any; - it's the taxes paid by the middle that funds everything! There is actually some fair news in the midst of the gloom; the motor industry, for instance, is performing very well indeed. What concerns me is that the people employed in that industry may get so demoralised too that they don't perform so well, and the prophesies of doom become self-fulfilling.

I firmly believe though that our government wants an economy based on having a few very rich people served by a destitute majority, and they are hell-bent on achieving that aim. A return, in fact, to a Georgian-style economy. In the decades after WWII, our industrial leaders did what the bankers and other rich are doing now, paying themselves huge amounts f0or poor performance and failure. Of course, the unions capitalised on it didn't they? And everyone went along with that. But now, the population seems so cowed that they'll stand anything.
Spuffler

Postby dutchman » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:06 pm

This is political analyst Stacey Herbert and former stockbroker Max Keiser's take last night on the current economic crisis facing Britain:

NB: It was mentioned in a previous Keiser Report that the UK government (ie: taxpayer) has guaranteed the so-called 'toxic loans' of failed UK banks for a sum equivalent to ten times the entire country's annual output or 1000% of the annual figure (not "one thousand times" as accidentally referred-to by Max in this report).

Hint: If the government is planning to issue long-term bonds at current interest rates it means they are planning to raise interest rates above that figure very shortly despite what they may be saying in public. The long-expected rise will wipe out property values, stockmarket prices and private pension fund values.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Spuffler » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 pm

They'll be doing a grand job, then !
Spuffler

Postby dutchman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Max Keiser on the new "granny tax" and theft from pension funds in the UK:

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion