When you realise you have dropped a clanger!

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

When you realise you have dropped a clanger!

Postby rebbonk » Mon May 15, 2023 3:29 pm

Jacob Rees-Mogg Admits Tory Voter ID Law Was 'Gerrymandering'
Former cabinet minister says government attempt to suppress Labour support backfired and made it harder for Conservatives to vote.

Jacob Rees-Mogg has said the Conservatives voter ID was an attempt at “gerrymandering” elections that backfired.

Voters were required for the first time at the local elections on May 4 to show photo ID in order to collect their ballot paper.

The government argued it was necessary to prevent voter fraud, despite it not being a widespread problem.

Speaking at the National Conservatism conference in Westminster on Monday, Rees-Mogg said: “Parties that try and gerrymander end up finding their clever scheme comes back to bite them, as dare I say we found by insisting on voter ID for elections.

“We found the people who didn’t have ID were elderly and they by and large voted Conservative.

The former Tory cabinet minister added: “So we made it hard for our own voters and we upset a system that worked perfectly well.”

The new law was proposed and made its way through parliament while Rees-Mogg was serving in the government.

On Saturday a Conservative peer who is a close ally of Boris Johnson, told a separate party gathering that if Labour repealed the Voter ID law it would contribute to “making it impossible for the Conservative Party to win an outright majority in the future”.

In their initial report on the local elections, the Electoral Commission confirmed that the new rules had “regrettably” prevented some people from voting.

An analysis released today showed thousands of voters were turned away from polling stations for not having the correct identification, and that hundreds of them never returned.

Rees-Mogg made the comments in reference to reports that the Labour Party is considering plans to allow EU citizens to vote in general elections

Source: https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jacob-rees-mogg-admits-tory-voter-id-law-was-gerrymandering_uk_64620db8e4b03e16f1a45050
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: When you realise you have dropped a clanger!

Postby dutchman » Mon May 15, 2023 5:10 pm

I'm not convinced.

How many elderly don't have a bus pass or driver's licence? I carry mine at all times even when I go for a short walk.
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: When you realise you have dropped a clanger!

Postby rebbonk » Mon May 15, 2023 8:29 pm

I have no form of valid i/d, except an expired passport, which might be accepted for voting but is definitely not accepted at a bank! I took the option of the free i/d, which if I'm truthful was a bit of a joke. I could have uploaded any picture, nobody actually verified it was me.

But let's be honest here, is voter fraud at the station really a problem? - I don't think so!

I suspect that voter fraud is far more prevalent via the postal system, but nobody wants to grasp that particular nettle. - I wonder why?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to General Discussion