Carrier bags from supermarkets will cost 5p each next month

Current affairs, gossip and general conversation

Re: Carrier bags from supermarkets will cost 5p each next month

Postby dutchman » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:07 am

Bizarre ways to avoid plastic bag charge

The hilarious ways that shoppers carry their shopping in an effort to avoid paying the plastic bag charge has been revealed.

A survey carried out by BusinessWaste.co.uk, a recycling and disposal business, found people “will go to any length” to avoid paying 5p for a plastic bag.

Flower pots, cycling helmets and suitcases were all used by desperate shoppers in a bid to avoid the charge.

Thomas, 65, from the Midlands, admitted to using a pair of trousers tied at the ankles: “They were in the back of the car, they saved me at least 20p on bags, and hardly anybody laughed at me, so that’s a plus”.

Heather, 39, from West Yorkshire, who was particularly keen to save money on plastic bags, admitted to using dog poo bags. She said: “I’ve always got a few in my pocket, and they hold more than you expect. Better still, they’re free from the council offices!”

Plastic bag use in supermarkets has dropped by 80 per cent since the plastic bag charge was brought in on 5th October 2015.

Mark Hall, of BusinessWaste.co.uk, said two things became clear from the survey: “First, there’s no way on Earth you’ll part people with five pence for a plastic bag; and second, these same people will go to any length to find alternatives.”

Andrew, 35, a builder, took the logical step of using one of his building buckets to carry his shopping.

Another shopper, Sam, 34, admitted to filling coat pockets with their shopping.

She said: “I leave the supermarket looking like a very successful shoplifter, so getting past the security guard is always a challenge”.

Hall also said that people confessed that they “borrow” supermarket baskets and shopping trolleys to carry their shopping home.

He said: “if there is one downside to the plastic bag charge, it’s the number of abandoned shopping trolleys in the streets these days. It’s gone through the roof.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:37 am

Bags for life pose a food poisoning risk, food safety watchdog admits

Bags for life pose a food poisoning risk, the food safety watchdog has admitted, as it has advised shoppers to label them "raw" or "ready to eat" to avoid the spread of deadly bacteria.

The Food Standards Agency is urging millions of shoppers who use the bags to take new steps to avoid getting food poisoning as a result of using them to carry supermarket shopping.

At the end of August the FSA's website was quietly updated to say: "Ideally, you should have enough bags to carry raw foods, ready-to-eat foods and non-food items such as washing powder separately.

"Keep enough bags for life for raw foods only and don’t use the same bags again for ready-to-eat foods or for carrying other household items."

"If it [the bag] doesn’t have a label, you could either colour code the bags (including by theme if the bag has a particular design) or mark on the bags to help you keep raw items separate."

The guidance also recommends regularly putting cotton bags used for carrying raw items in the washing machine to kill deadly bacteria which may be lurking inside.

The FSA's warning to shoppers that they need to be more vigilant with shopping bags to reduce the risk of becoming ill from bacteria, appears to fly in the face of its decision to let supermarkets conduct their own tests for campylobacter, which is a leading cause of food poisoning in the UK.

Following the introduction of the 5p carrier bag tax bags for life are fast becoming the main option for carrying shopping home from supermarkets.

Tesco recently scrapped 5p bags, leaving bags for life as the only option, and now Morrisons is planning to follow suit.

Told you so! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:45 am

The good lady is rather annoyed at Tesco. She had bags for life and had them changed (for free) a couple of times as they deteriorated. However, this week she was charged for replacements. She is not a happy bunny!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm

She is better off buying the big bags from Aldi they do smaller versions to they dont deteriote nor brake I ve found. If she wants a smaller one if she knocks my door I ll give her one free .
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:39 pm

:thumbsup: Very generous of you Melisandre. - Thank you, but I think she was grumbling just for the sake of it. Last time I looked in her shopping trolley, she had dozens of plastic bags.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm

I can understand Mrs Rebbonk complaint as Tesco did state exchange a bag for life if broken would be exchanged for a new one for free.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:17 pm

Morrison's will exchange their 10p bags indefinitely, unless you get one of those jobsworths who act as if you're trying to steal the crown jewels when you ask for a replacement. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:21 pm

Ban at Morrisons to stretch across all of its UK stores

Morrisons is preparing to remove plastic bags from every single one of its stores for good.

Following a successful trial, the supermarket will do away with it current stock of plastic 'bags for life' and replace them with 30p paper bags.

Morrisons says the paper bags are "reusable, recyclable, water resistant, tear resistant" and can hold up to 16kg.

If you don't fancy those the alternatives will be jute, cotton and reusable woven bags, priced between 75p and £2.50.

The change will come into force in every Morrisons supermarket in the UK, starting with Scotland this month, followed by England and Wales over the course of the next year.

David Potts, chief executive of Morrisons, said: "We have been listening hard to our customers over the past year and we know that they are passionate about doing their bit to keep plastics out of the environment.

"Removing all of the plastic bags from our supermarkets is a significant milestone in our sustainability programme.”

Single use 5p carrier bags were removed from Morrisons in 2018 but some customers continue to buy plastic ‘bags for life’, which are stronger and thicker. An increase of price to 50p was introduced to Morrisons plastic ‘bags for life’ in December 2020.

Since 2017 Morrisons has removed and made recyclable over 10,000 tonnes of plastic. Morrisons is on track to hit its 50 per cent plastic reduction target by 2025.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:23 pm

David Potts, chief executive of Morrisons, said: "We have been listening hard to our customers over the past year"

Yeah, right, that's why they've all gone to Aldi and Lidl! :clown:

This will hit poorer customers and those without cars disproportionately.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 pm

And now scientifically proven to be a complete waste of time:

dutchman
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Discussion