Labour’s plot to silence migrant hotel critics

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Labour’s plot to silence migrant hotel critics

Postby dutchman » Fri Aug 01, 2025 11:46 pm

Emails reveal Whitehall ‘spy’ unit complaining to tech firms about content mentioning asylum seekers and two-tier policing

Image

A secretive Whitehall “spy” unit has been used by the Government to target social media posts criticising migrant hotels and “two-tier policing”.

The Telegraph can reveal that officials working for Peter Kyle, the Technology Secretary, have flagged videos with “concerning narratives” to social media giants including TikTok, warning that they were “exacerbating tensions” on the streets.

Emails recovered by a US congressional committee show that civil servants have complained to tech firms about content mentioning asylum seekers, immigration and two-tier policing.

The dossier has emerged as ministers battle claims that the UK is censoring social media with the Online Safety Act, including from allies of Donald Trump, the US president.

The disclosure reveals that members of the Government’s National Security and Online Information Team (NSOIT) complained about a series of posts that were critical of mass migration and asylum hotels in August last year during the Southport riots.

The team, based in the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology, was previously known as the Counter Disinformation Unit and was used during the Covid pandemic to monitor anti-lockdown campaigners.

The exchanges are likely to fuel claims that Labour is seeking to silence criticism over its continued use of asylum hotels.

Sir Keir Starmer has pledged to end their use by 2029 amid concerns that they are costing taxpayers £4m a day and causing tensions in communities.

The row over the hotels exploded again earlier this month when demonstrations broke out at a hotel in Epping after a migrant tried to kiss a teenager, with further protests on Thursday night.

Angela Rayner, the Deputy Prime Minister, has told the Cabinet the Government must take concerns about immigration seriously and do more to alleviate them.

However, one post flagged by the government unit with “urgency” included a photograph of a rejected Freedom of Information request about the location of asylum hotels, and a reference to asylum seekers as “undocumented fighting-age males”.

An unnamed civil servant warned there were “significant risks” of protests at migrant hotels becoming violent because of the posts and there was a “definite sense of urgency” about them in Whitehall.

The emails were sent on Aug 3 and 4 last year, the worst weekend of the riots, when protesters attacked asylum hotels across the UK. The violence spiralled after false claims circulated that the perpetrator of the Southport attack, in which three little girls were killed, was a Muslim asylum seeker.

The Government’s private exchange with TikTok came days before Elon Musk, the tech billionaire owner of X and a former ally of Mr Trump, criticised “two-tier Keir”. The phrase was echoed by Nigel Farage, who warned that police had created a “sense of injustice”.

In another email the same weekend, officials warned TikTok that users were posting about “two-tier” policing at Southport rallies, amid accusations that white protesters had been treated more harshly by the police than ethnic minorities.

It said: “I am sure you will not be surprised at the significant volumes of anti-immigrant content directed at Muslim and Jewish communities as well as concerning narratives about the police and a ‘two-tier’ system we are seeing across the online environment.”

Officials requested that TikTok explain “any measures you have taken in response…as soon as you are able to”.

A third example of “concerning content” flagged by the team was a video of Pakistani men celebrating on a street, posted on Aug 5 and captioned: “Looks like Islamabad but it’s Manchester”. The team claimed it had been shared “in order to incite fear of the Muslim community”.

The emails did not ask for the content to be removed, but requested that TikTok explained how it was dealing with it.

However, critics have said they amount to Government censorship of free speech online. The emails were revealed by Jim Jordan, chairman of the US House of Representatives’ judiciary committee, which issued a subpoena to TikTok to hand over messages “regarding the company’s compliance with foreign censorship laws”.

Mr Jordan said Labour ministers had censored posts that were critical of the Government’s policy on asylum, warning critics of Sir Keir to “watch out”.

He said: “In recent years, UK citizens have become increasingly fed up with the double standard in the UK. Mean tweets get you a longer prison sentence than many violent offences.”

A spokesman for the Big Brother Watch campaign group called for an immediate investigation into the team, warning that an “unaccountable and secretive Government unit is spying on speech that is critical of the police and Government policies”.

“Legitimate concerns about racism and violence must not become a blank cheque for the monitoring and censorship of controversial speech, absent of any oversight or scrutiny,” they added.

Image
User avatar
dutchman
Site Admin
 
Posts: 56117
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:24 am
Location: Spon End

Return to News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

  • Ads