Local, national, international and oddball news stories
Write comments

Man finds Binley Mega Chippy is shut after 7,000-mile trip from Argentina

Thu May 09, 2024 11:13 pm

Lauti Murguía was visiting the UK from Argentina when he decided to visit the world-famous chip shop

A young man could barely believe it after finding Binley Mega Chippy in Coventry shut following a journey of more than 7,000 miles from Argentina. Lauti Murguía was holidaying in the UK when he decided to take a trip to the world-famous chip shop on Binley Road, only to find they do not open on Sundays.

Binley Mega Chippy became a viral phenomenon in May 2022 after a catchy jingle exploded on TikTok. Thousands descended on the city-based chip shop in the months that followed with people visiting from as far as Australia and the United States.

Lauti, who supports Coventry City FC, had travelled to the UK to watch the hugely-anticipated FA Cup clash which saw the Sky Blues go head-to-head with Manchester United at Wembley Stadium. After their heartbreaking defeat, the 23-year-old decided to visit Binley Mega Chippy the following Sunday (April 28).

Taking to X, Lauti shared an image of himself standing in front of Binley Mega Chippy. It was captioned: 'All the way from Argentina and it is closed...' Friend Wardy joked that it was 'the main reason he flew over' from Argentina.

Binley Mega Chippy is open daily but take a well-earned rest on Sundays, where they are closed all day. Speaking to CoventryLive, Lauti said: “I saw that my friend had a Binley Mega Chippy birthday card and at first I did not know what that was, so I asked him about it! He told me that it was a super famous trend so people from all over the country used to go to Coventry just to try their food.”

When the 23-year-old turned up at the world-famous chip shop, he said he was 'disappointed' to find that it was closed. Lauti described finding the shutters down as a 'shame' saying he 'really wanted to try authentic British food.'

He said: “When I posted the picture, most of the Coventry City fans who also love Binley Mega Chippy told me that it is not the best day to visit! It was a shame, I really wanted to try authentic British food.”

Write comments