Stoke family greengrocers to shut after serving locals for 32 years

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Stoke family greengrocers to shut after serving locals for 32 years

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:20 pm

The family business on Empress Arcade in Binley Road is closing down

A family-run greengrocers in Coventry is shutting down. Freshest Greengrocers, at Empress Arcade on Binley Road, will close on Saturday, March 30 after trading for more than 30 years.

Freshest Greengrocers was established in July 1991 and provides fruit and vegetables to customers daily. As well as supplying locals, the store also provides fresh produce to cafes, restaurants, pubs, schools, care homes, banks, and corporate offices.

However, the team has noticed 'people's changing habits' since Covid and will now focus on the growth of their delivery service instead. They say it has been a 'tough decision' for the family as the store has been a 'significant part of their lives' but thank the customers for all their support over the 'last 32 years'.

In a Facebook statement, the team stated: "We are saddened to announce that the Freshest Greengrocers store will permanently close on 30th March 2024. We first opened our doors on July 11, 1991, and it has been a great pleasure to serve the local community with quality fruits and vegetables.

"Since Covid, we have noticed a change in people's shopping habits, and as a result, our delivery service has grown. Therefore, we have decided to focus our efforts on this service, which we currently provide to the retail and catering trade.

"The good news is that you can still shop with us via our delivery service. If you want to learn more about this, please visit us in-store or email us at freshestgreengrocers@gmail.com. This has been a tough decision for the family as the store has been a significant part of our lives.

"We thank you all for shopping with us. We are very grateful and have appreciated your custom over the past 32 years. We hope to see you before we close the store at the end of the month."

The news of the closure sparked reaction from locals, who say the store will be 'sadly missed' on Binley Road. Melissa Smith said: "Aww sad news. Sending best wishes to you all. We are definitely interested in continuing with your delivery service."

Charlie Demetriou said: "I am gutted but I can totally understand your decision. I will continue to support you - your produce is the best and the friendly service is wonderful."

Katherine Louise said: "This is really sad. I have and still use your store.

"My son adores the choices he gets and the service is fabulous. I would definitely like info on delivery service, especially for my Brownie camps which you always help us with."

Margaret Cortese said: "You will be missed. The best fruit and vegetables and the nicest family you could ever meet."

Patricia Richards said: "Will be sad to see you go after such good produce over the last many years, but good luck with your new venture." For more information about Freshest Greengrocers, visit the official website or follow them on Facebook for updates.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News