Police statement after multiple homes and cars damaged in Cheylesmore

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Police statement after multiple homes and cars damaged in Cheylesmore

Postby dutchman » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:57 pm

Windows were smashed, church doors broken and objects strewn across Quinton Park in a wave of criminal damage

Police have arrested a man after a number of homes and cars were badly damaged during a night of crime in Coventry. House and car windows were smashed, newly-fitted doors at Quinton Park Baptist Church were broken and fence posts hurled into the water on Quinton Park in a shocking spate of antisocial behaviour in Cheylesmore.

Attempted break-ins were also reported. After repeated requests for information, a spokesman for West Midlands Police said: "We received more than a dozen reports of criminal damage in and around Quinton Park in Coventry. A 21-year-old man was arrested in the area during the early hours of January 31 and has since been sectioned under the Mental Health Act."

They released the statement after we reported on the case of a mum who said her three boys had been left traumatised after a brick was hurled through their lounge window. The woman, who asked not to be named, said her eldest son, aged 14, and 11-year-old twins, have needed constant reassurance since the terrifying attack.

The brick landed on the chair her husband had been sitting in a short time earlier. "My three boys have autism," the woman told CoventryLive. "People don't realise the effect things like this can have in children with additional needs.

"It was a real shock for them and for us all. The children not feeling safe is the biggest impact because you want your children to feel safe in their own home.

The woman, a full-time carer to her sons, said the attack 'could have been lethal'. "I know other people across Cheylesmore have been affected - it's not just us," she said.

"Its made us all on edge. I've lived in Cheylesmore all my life and I've never experienced anything like it."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News