NHS asks patients to choose from 12 genders, 10 sexual preferences and 159 religions

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

NHS asks patients to choose from 12 genders, 10 sexual preferences and 159 religions

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:29 pm

Some registering with the online portal before they attend appointments say questions are bizarre, confusing and intrusive

NHS patients are being asked to choose from 159 religions, 12 genders and 10 sexual preferences before they attend hospital appointments.

Critics said the data collection was “bizarre” and “confusing” with those trying to navigate the health service being asked if they are a Goddess, Satanist or Druid before they access care.

Patients’ groups described the system as “wokery to the nth degree” saying the “complex and intrusive” questions would leave users baffled, and raise concerns about personal security.

The questions are asked when patients register with an online portal which enables them to access their hospital appointment details, test results and medical records, before attending NHS outpatient appointments.

Patients are directed to a section on their personal information to fill in their details, with repeated reminders for those who do not oblige.

“Gender identity” options to choose from include genderfluid, questioning, agender, non-binary, demiboy and demigirl, as well as male and female.

Patients are also offered a menu of “sexual preferences”, including pansexual, bisexual, gay, heterosexual, lesbian, queer, questioning, unsure or asexual – or a combination of these – to choose from.

They are also asked to select their “sex assigned at birth” and “legal sex” from the options of male, female or indeterminate.

Patients using the service criticised the questions as being “bizarre, confusing and intrusive”.

Think tanks said the use of “dubious options” to choose from showed the NHS “playing identity politics” in ways that would perplex many of those seeking treatment.

The questions are asked as part of the registration process for MyChart, an online service which patients are asked to sign up to prior to attending outpatient appointments.

The system was introduced at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in October.

One Royal Brompton Hospital patient, a man in his 50s, said: “If I am having a heart stent fitted, what difference does it make if I am straight, pansexual, male or demiboy?”

The hospital is part of Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation trust. Other trusts use the same service, but with a narrower range of options.

MyChart allows patients to see information like their medical notes, appointment history, upcoming appointments and test results on their smartphone, tablet or computer.

But when they first register, patients are directed to complete their “personal information” on a page which includes sex, gender and religion questions.

Answering is not compulsory but if patients do not answer, they receive reminders to fill in the information when they next have an appointment.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: NHS asks patients to choose from 12 genders, 10 sexual preferences and 159 religions

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:28 pm

Just been talking to my brother about this. How much has the NHS spent on nothing more than pandering to those who ought to be sectioned?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: NHS asks patients to choose from 12 genders, 10 sexual preferences and 159 religions

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:53 pm

It's not just the NHS. The council's housing department website asked me twice about my 'sexual orientation' as if that has anything to do with my housing needs.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News