West Midlands Police: Force in special measures over sex offender failings

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: West Midlands Police: Force in special measures over sex offender failings

Postby dutchman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:58 pm

Bid to settle mayor-PCC merger row in courts

A request has been submitted for a legal review into the plan to merge the roles of West Midlands mayor and police and crime commissioner (PCC).

Labour's Simon Foster, the serving PCC, has applied for a judicial review in the High Court to challenge Home Secretary James Cleverly's backing of a transfer of powers to the mayor's office.

The region's Conservative mayor, Andy Street, has given his formal consent to the plan, with the decision to go before MPs for approval.

Mr Foster, who was elected to the role in May 2021, said: "Enough is enough. As PCC my one and only top priority is preventing, tackling and reducing crime.

"I am committed to complying with my pledge to the electorate. I was elected with a mandate to retain a democratically elected and directly accountable PCC."

A spokesman for the West Midlands mayor said: "We dread to think how much taxpayer money is being wasted on London lawyers by the PCC in trying to save his job, money that should be in West Midlands Police's budget to be spent on frontline police.

"To be really clear, the mayor is not subject to this judicial review, and has no intention of backing away from taking the tough steps required to tackle the scourge of crime across the West Midlands."

The Home Office has been contacted for comment.

:bbc_news:

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:06 pm

And just who is paying for handbags at dawn? - You and I! :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:55 pm

Crime commissioner wins case against mayoral merger

The West Midlands police and crime commissioner (PCC) has won a High Court challenge against government plans to merge the role with the region's mayor.

Labour PCC Simon Foster took legal action against the Home Office's move to end his role in time for local elections in May.

His powers over West Midlands Police had been set to be merged with those of mayor, a role currently held by Conservative Andy Street.

In ruling in favour of Mr Foster, the judge Mr Justice Swift said the Home Office had not provided sufficient information when consulting over its plans.

The government department has said there had been a lawful consultation.
'Cynical power grab'

Mr Foster had branded the plan as a "hostile takeover" and "cynical power grab".

After the ruling was made, he said he was "concerned that the transfer of PCC powers to a representative of the government would lead to more cuts, more chaos and more crime".

The mayor said he was "incredibly disappointed" with the decision.

Mr Street said he had always believed the best way to tackle crime was to merge the roles "so we could work in absolute unison to address all of the issues that we face".

After being asked who the Conservatives would have on the PCC ballot, Mr Street said "the party, not me, will now decide what it wishes to do".

BBC political reporter, Birmingham Simon Gilbert said this had been a victory for Mr Foster, "but for how long?".

In his 23-page written ruling, the judge said: "The home secretary did not, when consulting, provide sufficient information to permit an intelligent and informed response."

Mr Justice Swift said there should have been information to support the government's move, including over the proposed impact on "economic, social and environmental well-being", but what featured on this occasion, "falls well short of this mark".

The judge said a claim the consolidation of powers has the potential to offer "a more joined-up approach to preventing crime was left entirely unexplained".

Mr Gilbert said: "Today's judgment makes clear the High Court does not believe the correct process was followed to merge the police and mayor roles. What it doesn’t say is that the roles can never be merged."

The BBC political reporter said there would be an election for a West Midlands PCC on 2 May and "here's a potential plot twist" - there is nothing to prevent Mr Street from standing for his party in that election too.

"But, even if the PCC election goes ahead, how long will whoever wins be in post?," he asked.

Highlighting the mergers that have already taken place, the "direction of travel appears to be clear".

"Today’s ruling might just mean the journey takes a little longer," he added.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:13 pm

Having just had my council tax demand, I notice that the greatest % increase is for the PCC. :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Previous

Return to News