Hundreds of free winter coats donated to community

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Hundreds of free winter coats donated to community

Postby dutchman » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:09 am

Nicola Good used social media and her community to collect coats for people that need them

Hundreds of donated coats have flown off the rails after a new service was launched to help people in the cost of living crisis.

Nicola Good started the free coat collection service last month, in Warwickshire.

Speaking to BBC CWR, she said coats have "gone off the rails like anything", at the Betty Ennis Foundation shop, in Coventry.

At least 400 coats have been given away since Mrs Good, from Willenhall, opened the service on 23 October.

"We've all got a spare coat lying around... why not give it to someone that needs it?," she said.

Mrs Good started the scheme after hearing about an elderly patient in a care home for people with dementia who was unable to join in on day trips because he did not own a winter coat.

She thought to herself: "I'm sure my husband's got a spare one lying around somewhere."

Putting out a call out on social media, she asked if anybody else had spare coats and was "absolutely inundated" by the response.

When asked for her motivations she responded: "In this day and age, I don't think anybody should be cold."

Mrs Good wanted to use the Betty Ennis shop to host her scheme as it is a "local hub that looks after the community".

The charitable foundation was set up in memory of Mrs Ennis, who was a key figure in Willenhall.

Mrs Good said that on the first Monday she displayed "60 to 70 coats", and by Wednesday "there was six left".

More than 400 coats have been donated including men's, ladies and children's.

"We've had some of the older pensioners coming in and actually taking a coat off the rails and taking it home with them," said Mrs Good. "It's nice to see [the coats] being used for the right purpose.

"As long as people need a coat, we'll do our best to supply one."

A local mum took home a coat after browsing the rails saying it's "getting really cold" and many people "cannot afford to buy coats".

She thanked Mrs Good "for what she has done and what she is doing [for] the community" adding, "you really made my day."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News