Notorious 'vile' Nuneaton gang making life hell for salon owner

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Notorious 'vile' Nuneaton gang making life hell for salon owner

Postby dutchman » Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:18 pm

She said that they drink, swear, shout, urinate on the street and intimidate staff and customers

A notorious Nuneaton gang of booze and drink-fuelled trouble-makers are making life hell for a business owner. Lauren Burgess, who owns LB Hair Studio in Abbey Green, said that the gang use a bench near her business as a place to gather - where they drink, swear, shout, urinate on the street and intimidate staff and customers.

It has been ongoing for six months now, with the group of men initially being outside her premises before moving to the bench near the telephone box just yards from Cash Converters. The police and council arranged for the council to move that bench in Queens Road - and then they moved to the bench directly opposite on the corner of Jubilee Way, which locals referred to as 'crackhead corner'.

But she said that, in recent weeks, they have returned to the bench around the tree close to her business - and their behaviour has got worse. "This has been ongoing for a few months now, the same people that were in Queens Road," she said.

"They are getting drunk, shouting, swearing, sometimes fighting, urinating up trees and buildings, spitting, vomiting and, in the past, they have approached my clients and staff members. They feel intimidated.

"We submitted an ASB report to the council and the woman at the council said that they were looking to remove the bench. We also keep reporting this to the police when they are fighting or passing out in the street. We have called ambulances out for them in the past.

"The police have been absolutely amazing. They are doing everything they can, they are coming out, they are giving them warnings and patrolling the area regularly, but there is only so much they can do.

"So I got back in touch with the council about the progress of having the bench removed and I was told it would be a lengthy process and they did not think it was necessary as they put a temporary camera up. I also got in touch with the MP and he said he had no jurisdiction over the police or council."

Whoever should be dealing with it, their reappearance is having an impact on her business. "We are having the same problems all over again," she said. "I have been back in touch with the council and said 'look, we are having the same problem, you have removed the bench on Queens Road, why can't you remove the one here?'.

"The police are helping us and surely the only permanent solution to fix the problem is to remove the bench. I have sent numerous emails and I have had no reply at all."

time as we have to keep it ventilated and when they are sat trying to relax and enjoy their time to themselves having their hair or nails done, we can hear them (the gang) shouting, swearing and being vile.

"We feel intimated coming into work as they are there from 8am or 9am in the morning. It is not nice when you are opening up on your own. Our clients feel uncomfortable walking past them to come in.

"It is affecting our passing trade and affecting our livelihoods. It is having a very negative effect on our business and it will start affecting our income."

She is calling on the council to take the action she says they so desperately need. "I don't want the bench removed as it isn't fair on other people but if it is having an affect on my business, something more needs to be done.

"I feel like this comes down to the council and they are not helping me."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News