Huge Radford fire 'caused by cannabis factory' and plants 'still visible inside'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Huge Radford fire 'caused by cannabis factory' and plants 'still visible inside'

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:37 pm

The fire on Jubilee Crescent lit up the night sky in part of Coventry and affected businesses and locals

A huge building fire in Radford is believed to have been sparked by an illegal drugs farm. West Midlands Police believe a cannabis factory started the blaze on Tuesday evening (January 24) - and cannabis plants can apparently still be seen inside.

The fire broke out at a two-storey flat above retail shops in Jubilee Crescent. It caused significant damage, resulting in BG Bet and The Godiva closing, as well as several residents being evacuated from their homes.

A police spokesman said: "A fire at a property in Jubilee Crescent, Coventry, is believed to have been sparked by a cannabis factory. The cause is not yet known.

"A full search of the address will take place once safe to do so." In the aftermath of the fire, many businesses were forced to shut on the street, although most have reopened.

Burnt, damaged brickwork is still visible at the scene. In addition, a cordon is in place to keep people away from the affected area.

Our reporter Latifa Yedroudj went to the scene on Friday to speak to people who had seen the fire. She said it was even possible to see what appeared to be fire-damaged cannabis plants in the building.

People are still reeling from the blaze earlier this week. Many were taken aback by the sheer scale of the fire.

Carl, who works at the Eyesite Eyecare Centre there, summed up the views of many when he said: “We shut the following day after the fire. The whole row of shops were closed. Business is open as usual so we’ve not been affected but it was scary to see.”

Paul, another local, said: "I saw the fire as I drove to work. I don’t live too far away.

"If I lived near here I would have been terrified. You don’t see something like this every day."

Fire crews across the West Midlands from Coventry, Birmingham and Solihull attended the scene at around 9.26pm on Tuesday. The fire lit up the night sky and ripped through the affected property, although thankfully there were no injuries.

The Godiva Fish Bar and BG Bets are still cordoned off with police tape. The owner of The Godiva has said they may not be allowed in the building for several weeks as they have been warnd the building may be 'structurally unsound'.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Huge Radford fire 'caused by cannabis factory' and plants 'still visible inside'

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:38 pm

They must have known that last Tuesday but waited until now to tell us? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News