Coventry store to shut for final time as year ahead likely to be 'really challenging'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry store to shut for final time as year ahead likely to be 'really challenging'

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:26 pm

Jag Singh said he has 'loved every minute' of working at the busy off licence on Radford Road

A popular Coventry store will permanently shut after serving the local community for more than two decades. Godiva Wines, in Radford, will close for the final time today (Wednesday, January 18).

Owner Jag Singh, 49, who lives in Finham, said he has loved every minute of working in the bustling neighbourhood of Radford. He set up the business when he was 28 and has never looked back.

Jag told CoventryLive: “I knew I was going to open this place and make it work at a time when retail has changed beyond all recognition.” He took the decision to shut for good as the year ahead would have been extremely challenging.

Jag said: “We knew that this year was going to be really challenging so it was a good time to call it a day. I think people do not use local shops the way they used to. A lot of online shopping really hurts the high street.”

He went on to say that the death of his father contributed to his decision to close as he wants to spend more time with his family. “I did not want to keep doing all these hours that a small business involves,” said Jag.

Jag went on to say that he has taken great pleasure in building relationships with the community during his 21 years at the store on Radford Road. “I have lived in Earlsdon, Allesley, Finham and Radford and without a shadow of a doubt Radford has been the best community out of all of them,” he said.

He wants to thank all of the loyal customers he has met during his time at Godiva Wines. “I would not be here if the local community was not as great as it was and the people I have worked with have been really good as well, so it has been a real pleasure. It has never felt like work to me,” he said.

“I really feel this was a real blessing to be here because one thing your local shopkeeper does is that he is that friendly face. It is amazing how many people come in and they just want to talk. I have met some amazing people and this community really warmed to me from the first minute I got here,” he added.

Jag will be heading into early retirement to spend more time with his family and explore the city. “Coventry is a great city, there are loads of opportunities. We have got really nice communities so it is just about seeing what else is in the city outside these four walls,” he said.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News