Coventry man 'depressed' and fears for health over mouldy flat...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry man 'depressed' and fears for health over mouldy flat...

Postby dutchman » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:44 am

Spray and anti-mould paint have failed to fix the problem

A Coventry man feels "very depressed" about persistent mould in his flat which he believes is making him and his girlfriend ill. Paul Tiernan, 40, says he developed a cough after mould started growing in his Longfield House flat in 2019.

Despite attempts to clear it, the fungus returned a year ago, he told the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS.) Photos show it covering pipes and on the wall of the flat's bathroom, above windows in the living room and in a cupboard.

Asked how the mould is affecting him, Paul said: "I do have a cough but I don't think it's from smoking."

His girlfriend Emma Brown, 38, is "losing weight for some reason," and her health is getting worse, he added. He is a carer for Emma and her health issues keep her confined to the flat except when she is in hospital.

Paul said he'd tried to remove the mould himself with black mould spray but it hadn't worked. He said that in 2019 their landlord Citizen had been out and painted the area with anti-mould paint, but claimed they hadn't finished the job properly.

"When they first came out they said someone was going to come out and do the rest, but no-one turned up."

Citizen were to come out and look at the mould problem on Saturday, November 26, he said. But the recurring problem is making him want to move.

"It would be better with a whole new flat," he said. "I don't really want to be [living here.]"

Asked if the mould is making him feel depressed, he agreed: "I'm very depressed about it."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News