'My mouldy flat is making me so ill that I'm frightened it will kill me'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

'My mouldy flat is making me so ill that I'm frightened it will kill me'

Postby dutchman » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:47 pm

Emma Brankin has been into intensive care with breathing problems three times and her doctors are demanding she is moved for the sake of her health

A Coventry woman whose flat is covered in black mould says he has been in and out of hospital so many times that she's lost count - and has a genuine fear her home could kill her.

Emma Brankin, 45, has asthma which was under control before she moved into her current home in Jardine Crescent, Tile Hill, in 2009. But since then she has suffered repeated problems with her lungs, including pleurisy, pneumonia and interstitial lung disease.

Emma has been rushed into intensive care three times since 2019. And last month she developed a chest infection which sparked asthma attack so severe her next of kin were called.

Doctors then put her in an induced coma and on a breathing machine for a week to nurse her back to health. But she had to go back into hospital two days later after she suffered another attack.

Her doctors say the mould in her flat is making her problems worse and are now demanding that she is moved to another home for the sake of her health.

Emma said: "It's affecting my life really badly. I've been in hospital that many times since 2019, I couldn't give you a number, I've actually lost count. But now it's putting me repeatedly in intensive care. This has been my life for the last year.

"It's in my bedrooms, in my son's old room, it's along not the window frame but the panel in front of it, it's all thick black.

"On my outside, inside and when I've got my window open fully it's black. My air vents have got mould in them, the ceiling in my bedroom and going down the side of the wall in my bedroom is mouldy."

Emma says she is not the only resident in her block of flats that has problems with mould and landlords Citizen Housing are not doing enough to tackle the problem.

She said: "But it's not just about me, even when I get a move from here this block needs to be sorted. There's not a day or a week that goes by when somebody in the block isn't ill with their chest.

"Myself and other people in my block have repeatedly reported the mould and damp problem in our block. I’ve asked our housing officer and I was fobbed off with 'oh it’s poor ventilation' yet I have every single window in my flat bar one open at this time of year."

"They just come up with different excuses - poor ventilation, or you've got a tumble dryer, or this or that. They just fob everybody off and say it's our responsibility to clear the mould up but I'm not being funny it's not. How are you supposed to clean it up when just sitting in the flat or in the building causes you to have life-threatening asthma attacks?"

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: 'My mouldy flat is making me so ill that I'm frightened it will kill me'

Postby dutchman » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:40 pm

They just come up with different excuses - poor ventilation, or you've got a tumble dryer, or this or that.

Citizen tell tenants to buy condenser dryers rather than vented dryers because it means less work for their staff then blame the tenants for buying the wrong kind of dryer. :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News