Coventry food bank charity adds prom dresses

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry food bank charity adds prom dresses

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:41 pm

Pupils are asked to pay a deposit and a £5 administration fee

A charity has diversified from offering a food bank and created a "prom bank" too, with dresses available to pupils from low-income families so they can attend end-of-school-year bashes.

Anna-Marie Corbett said she set up Canley Prom Bank in Coventry, which also lends suits, to help "manage the cost" of the occasions.

"A lot of the kids are missing out because they just can't afford it.

"By the time you've paid for your ticket, [it is] a very expensive day."

Ms Corbett, a manager at Canley Community Centre, said the outfits had been donated, and pupils would be able to borrow them after leaving a deposit.

They would also pay a £5 administration cost towards the running of the scheme, she explained.

"Once they've used the item, and they return it to me, they get their deposit back" she said.

"We want to share [the clothes] with as many people as we can."

Ms Corbett said the scheme had about 250 dresses "of all sizes" but fewer suits - just 12 in total.

"We're still looking for them so if anyone can donate suits, we'd appreciate that as well."

She said: "My own son finished school during lockdown, and at that time I did struggle because I only worked part-time and am a single mum, so I couldn't afford a lot.

"Luckily I did have family around that helped me, but some people don't have any of these things," she added.

A school uniform bank also operates out of the centre on Prior Deram Walk in the city, along with the food hub.

Uptake at the latter was "manic" at the moment, Ms Corbett said.

"We're currently helping to feed about 150 families at the centre, but with the rising fuel prices I fear it's only going to get worse."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry food bank charity adds prom dresses

Postby rebbonk » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:14 pm

'Prom bank'? WTF is that?

In my day we simply left school and that was that!

Whilst accepting that I am just a grumpy old man, if you are in need of a food bank I really don't see that you need this. Stuff the Americanism and recognise reality! :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:36 pm

Coventry charity prom bank expecting busiest year

A charity offering school prom dresses to pupils from low income families says it expects to be busier than ever due to the cost-of-living crisis.

Anna-Marie Corbett reopened the Coventry service to the public on Tuesday and said she had already had more than a dozen bookings.

The Canley Community Centre scheme offers outfits that had been donated for a £5 administration fee.

It had also expanded to offer children's clothes, she said.

They now have about 400 dresses and 50 suits on offer.

"There are people who I know who struggle," said the centre manager, "I don't want them to think they can't go to a prom because they can't have a dress," she explained.

"If I can help them I will."

A school uniform bank also operates out of the centre on Prior Deram Walk in the city, along with a food hub.

She said some customers using the service thought "it's not the same as going to a shop to buy one".

"But then they go away happy because they've actually found a dress that they like, and that always puts a smile on my face because I know I've helped somebody."

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:00 pm

I reiterate my previous post! :fuming: :fuming: :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News