Boris Johnson branded 'mafia boss' after Tory says police should probe 'blackmail' of MPs

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Boris Johnson branded 'mafia boss' after Tory says police should probe 'blackmail' of MPs

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:39 pm

Conservative William Wragg said rebel MPs had faced intimidation over opposition to Boris Johnson and urged them to report it to the police

A senior Tory has accused the Government of "blackmail" of Conservative rebels and said they should report it to the police.

William Wragg, chair of the Commons Public Administration Committee, said Tory colleagues had been subject to intimidation by the party whips over their perceived opposition to the Prime Minister.

No10 staff, special advisers and government whips also encouraged embarrassing stories being released to journalists if they did not support the PM, he claimed.

Mr Johnson was accused of "acting like a mafia boss" as the extraordinary claims sparked outrage.

In a statement in Parliament, Mr Wragg said Tory rebels had been threatened with losing money for their constituencies which comes from the taxpayer.

Mr Wragg said: "In recent days, a number of members of Parliament have faced pressures and intimidation from members of the government because of their declared or assumed desire for a vote of confidence in the party leadership of the Prime Minister."

He said the whips were responsible for pushing forward Government business but added: "It is not their function to breach the ministerial code in threatening to withdraw investments from members of parliament's constituencies which are funded from the public purse."

Mr Wragg added: "Intimidation of a member of Parliament is a serious matter. Moreover, the reports of which I am aware would seem to constitute blackmail.

"As such it would be my general advice to colleagues to report these matters to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police."

His claims were backed up by Tory defector Christian Wakeford - who sensationally claimed he was threatened he would not get a new high school in his constituency if he didn't vote with the Government.

He told BBC North West: "I was threatened that I would not get the school for Radcliffe if I did not vote in one particular way.

"This is a town that's not had a high school for the best part of 10 years.

"How would you feel when holding back regeneration of a town for a vote?

"It didn't sit comfortably and that was really starting to question my place where I was and ultimately to where I am now."

Cabinet Office Minister Stephen Barclay said he would convey the statement to the Government.

Labour's Deputy Leader Angela Rayner said: "These are grave and shocking accusations of bullying, blackmail, and misuse of public money and must be investigated thoroughly.

"The idea that areas of our country will be starved of funding because their MPs don't fall into line to prop up this failing Prime Minister is disgusting.

“On the day Labour is setting out plans to deal with the cost of living crisis affecting the whole country, the Tory party continues to descend further into chaos of its own making. The country deserves better than this out of touch, out of control, out of ideas government.”

Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey accused the PM of "acting like a mafia boss".

"It is simply remarkable that a Prime Minister could countenance scrapping local projects and funding if MPs refuse to back him," he said.

"All Boris Johnson cares about is saving his own skin. He’s acting more like a mafia boss than a Prime Minister."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Boris Johnson branded 'mafia boss' after Tory says police should probe 'blackmail' of MPs

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 pm

Of course, the useless, inept, lying, fat blond womble, knows nothing of what's going on. :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News