Union to ballot over Christmas bin strike in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: Union to ballot over Christmas bin strike in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:42 pm

rebbonk wrote:My bin was emptied as per the plan, it wasn't full and I could probably have fitted another week's waste in it. I wonder how long until the next collection?

I'm keeping mine empty for as long as possible as previous experience has taught me that anything left in them over a long period will stink to high heaven for a very long time afterwards.

Have also considered lining the bin with kitty litter so as to absorb any smells but have no idea if that will work or not?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:43 pm

Coventry man resorts to buying his own van to clear 'disgusting' city streets

A Coventry man says he has resorted to purchasing his own van to clear the waste-filled streets of Coventry.

Kev Maloney says he wants to help the elderly and disabled clear their waste as the bin strikes continue to impact collections.

He is offering free collection services to the elderly and disabled, and charging general customers by bag and bin, after striking up a partnership with a local landfill site.

Mr Maloney says he felt compelled to do something after seeing 'rats the size of cats' run around piled up rubbish on his street.

CoventryLive has heard from numerous residents who have reported piles of rubbish in their street and in local green spaces.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:45 am

This may infuriate some readers but our communal bins were emptied again yesterday (Tuesday) and I anticipate they will be emptied yet again tomorrow (Thursday), that will make four times in two weeks!

Mind you it could be two months before they are emptied again (if ever).

Also noticed there has been a run on tie-handle swing-bin liners at Morrisons and they are now out-of-stock.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:35 pm

We seem to have had a spate of neighbours using bins that aren't theirs. A friend was away for a couple of days and came home to find her bin full!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:56 pm

Council launches new plan to collect city’s waste

Coventry City Council is set to bring in a private contractor to help collect waste over the coming weeks as strike action by bin lorry drivers continues.

The union Unite, which represents the drivers, recently confirmed that the strike action was set to escalate, with no collections at all during February and March. This would affect all residential and commercial operations.

The Council has already opened drop sites for residents to take their waste in an attempt to ease the situation, but with the escalation in action, a new plan has been drawn up to ensure residents suffer as little as possible.

It has announced that it will work with private contractor Tom White Waste throughout February and March to provide fortnightly household waste (green lidded bin) collections of waste from private households.

Once the service is up and running, some of the drop sites will be changed to accept only recyclable waste so residents can continue to recycle.

The fortnightly collections will use Council vehicles rented to Tom White Waste. Household waste will be collected Tuesday to Friday – following the usual schedule with Mondays dedicated to collections from flats and businesses.

But if you had a scheduled collection last week – your first collection (green lidded bin only), back on your usual day will be next week.

If you are set to have a collection this week – your first collection (green lidded bin only), back on your usual day will be the week after next.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:35 pm

...use Council vehicles rented to Tom White Waste...

This is a spot of financial chicanery as our excremental council actually owns Tom White Waste. :roll:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:25 pm

I've a feeling this will make things worse not better, like everything else the council has ever done. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:57 pm

Council admits one in four bins weren't emptied on first day of private contractor collections

Yesterday (February 1) marked the first day of fortnightly bin collections in Coventry but some areas still had theirs missed.

Coventry City Council (CCC) are working with Tom White Waste to empty residents' bins throughout February and March

It comes after Unite announced a full strike until March 23.

But, CCC have said only 75% of scheduled green-lidded bins had been collected.

A spokesperson said last night: "Crews have been out working today collecting scheduled green-lidded bins and we estimate that about 75% of all scheduled collections were completed."

Their plan is to return this morning (February 2) before collecting Wednesday's bins, which they have assured will not be affected.

CCC took to Twitter this morning and said: "We will be collecting scheduled green-lidded Wednesday collections today, as well as returning to collect missed green-lidded bins from yesterday. Please leave your bin out if you were missed so we can get back to you. Thanks for your patience."

We've contacted the council to find out why bins were missed out.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:58 pm

I'm not sure whether there was a collection around here or not? I wasn't willing to take a chance on it so didn't bother to put mine out.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:03 pm

Facebook group collects rubbish for elderly residents

A community group has stepped in to help elderly and vulnerable residents empty their rubbish bins as strike action continues in Coventry.

Bin lorry drivers began a two-month strike over pay on Monday, following intermittent action since December.

Heart of Willenhall members have taken more than 100 of their neighbours' bins to a council collection point.

Resident Robin Toft said his heart condition made it difficult for him to move the bins himself.

"What these people are doing is absolutely fantastic," he said of the group.

"Without them we would have a hell of struggle round here, there's no two ways about it.

"I am in a row of 13 bungalows and we don't have a single car between us. We can't thank them enough."

He also praised workers at the refuse drop-off point at Willenhall Social Club for doing a "fantastic" job.

Melinda Anthony, who set up Heart of Willenhall on Facebook, said older and vulnerable people were struggling during the dispute and that some had already not had rubbish collected for weeks.

"Some of these elderly residents have got no family, they have got no means of getting the bins or bags up to a drop-off site," she said.

"When things like this kick off it's important that community pages like ours actually get their boots on the ground and help the most vulnerable in our society."

Ms Anthony particularly praised Colette Gosling and Dee Hodgson, administrators for the group, who moved dozens of bins over the weekend.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News