Hearsall Common funfair opening delayed by council to 'mourn Prince Philip'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Hearsall Common funfair opening delayed by council to 'mourn Prince Philip'

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:57 pm

Pat Collins Funfairs at Hearsall Common were told to delay their opening for a week but can now open from tomorrow

A “spoilsport” decision to postpone a fun fair in Coventry to mourn the death of Prince Philip has been reversed by council chiefs following complaints.

Pat Collins Funfairs was due to open at Hearsall Common on today (April 12) but was told by Coventry City Council to postpone the opening after the death of the Duke of Edinburgh.

On its Facebook page, the firm said it would not be able to open until Sunday at 1pm – after the Duke’s funeral on Saturday – “to allow for a week-long period of mourning”.

They said: “The Hearsall Common Funfair site is owned and operated by Coventry City Council. Pat Collins Funfairs whilst using the site are tenants of the council.

“The council wishing to mark the death of the Duke of Edinburgh, made the request that Pat Collins should close its funfair until after the funeral. This request has been honoured.”

The post received more than 250 comments, some praising the decision as a mark of respect for Prince Philip, while others branded it ‘ridiculous’.

One dad Brian Bennett, who was planning on taking his 10-year-old daughter Betty to the fair, said: “My daughter was crying when I told her. It is a real slap in the face.

“Children, with the greatest of respect, have no great understanding of who the Duke of Edinburgh was.

“I just find it hard to understand when all the other things that people are going to and this is finally something to do that is for children and teenagers and now they can’t go.

“I could understand if they said on Saturday afternoon for the funeral it was closed, or for the day.

“This was something for the children to look forward to after being locked down for three or four months. It just seems like the council are being spoilsports and a killjoy.”

Pat Collins Funfairs said subsequent discussions took place with the council on Monday, who agreed to u-turn on its initial decision.

The fair will now open on Tuesday from 1pm and will close for a day on Saturday as a mark of respect, before re-opening on Sunday.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News