‘Bizarre’ to end virtual meetings says Coventry council leader...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

‘Bizarre’ to end virtual meetings says Coventry council leader...

Postby dutchman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:01 pm

From May 7, there will no longer be legislation for virtual council meetings to take place

A government decision to end virtual council meetings on May 7 has been slammed as “totally bizarre” by the leader of Coventry City Council.

Labour and Conservative group leaders in Coventry have voiced concern at the government opting not to extend legislation for virtual council meetings.

Since the pandemic – as with most workplaces – public council meetings have been conducted over video to keep people safe, but from May 7 councillors and staff must meet in person.

That is despite the government’s own lockdown roadmap restricting indoor gatherings until May 17, while MPs can meet remotely until June 21.

Council leader Cllr George Duggins said: “I do find it totally bizarre that the government on one hand is cautious about the roadmap and quite rightly so, but on the other hand throw caution to the wind the well-being of councillors and people who want to attend council meetings.

“If it is good enough for the House of Commons until June then it is good enough for councils. I cannot understand why they do not allow individual authorities to make individual decisions.

“People do want to get back to meetings in person but there is no reason why this could not have been extended as a fall back position.

“As it stands at the moment there is a real possibility that councillors could be disenfranchised and nobody wants that.”

In Coventry, public council business is usually conducted in a number of small committee rooms, however Cllr Duggins said “most would not be big enough”.

Conservative leader Cllr Gary Ridley echoed concerns, adding: “I want to see face-to-face meetings back as soon as it is safe. I am not entirely sure it is safe to do so at the minute.

“We have a council AGM in late May and that would be 500 people in the Cathedral – is it not feasible at this time.

“Legislation should have rolled over. I was a little sceptical when this was first brought in but it has allowed a sense of normality and this practice is now in place.

“There is a clear alternative and I would say that should probably be extended for another six months.”

The Local Government Association has urged the government to reverse its decision to allow councils to meet “flexibly” until all restrictions are lifted.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News