Overflowing bins in Coventry have become 'local art installation'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Overflowing bins in Coventry have become 'local art installation'

Postby dutchman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:42 pm

A resident has called on the council and Citizen to solve the problem

Problems with a “disgusting” heap of rubbish have been going on for so long the eyesore has become a local art installation, a Coventry resident has said.

Andrew Speed has criticised Coventry City Council and housing provider Citizen for failing to resolve the issue, which he said has been occurring for the past five years.

Three bins in a communal bin store at the front of apartments on Bushbery Avenue, in Tile Hill, serve the 12 residents who live there, but Mr Speed said others are also using it to dump their rubbish.

It has left bin bags piling up, overspilling onto the pavement, and causing a stench so bad the 61-year-old says he cannot open his windows for fresh air.

Mr Speed said the council collects rubbish inside the bins but not on the floor, although in some instances they have not taken either as the pile-up has been so high.

Yet when contacting the council and Citizen, he said both have told him it is the other’s responsibility to collect the rubbish on the floor.

He added: “After five years this should not be going on.

“Residents should not have to put up with this – it is absolutely disgusting.

“The council’s stance has been that we do not pick up the bags on the floor and it is Citizen’s responsibility, but Citizen said it is the council’s. It is just going around and around.

“What kicked this off for me was one older lady on the ground floor fell trying to lift the bin lid as she was so frail and there was so much rubbish around.

“I have a serious health condition and have just come out of hospital. In this time of Covid the government is saying to open your windows but I cannot open mine as the smell is so bad.

“We pay them rent and council tax and we should not have to do this.”

Ward councillor Julia Lepoidevin has called for a permanent solution.

She said: “This is an issue that keeps happening and I want to see a permanent solution to this matter. This is not fair on local residents in the community.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Overflowing bins in Coventry have become 'local art installation'

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:57 pm

'Eyesore’ bin problem is never ending, blasts Coventry resident

A Coventry resident said there are still no solutions to resolve problems with an “eyesore” bin store which is being used as a dumping ground.

A washing machine was the latest addition to an overflowing communal bin store in Tile Hill last week, which resident Andrew Speed jokingly said had become a ‘local art installation’.

The three bins at the front of apartments on Bushberry Avenue have been full-to-the-brim and rubbish has been dumped on the pavement and is now attracting foxes.

Problems were raised by Mr Speed last month, telling the Local Democracy Reporting Service he has been complaining about the problem for five years.

And while the site was cleared again by Citizen yesterday morning (Tuesday, February 16), Mr Speed said the problem still hasn’t gone away and fears it will remain a continual issue on a loop unless the pair take alternative steps.

He said: “This has gone on for five years. It cannot carry on. It is an absolute eyesore.

“I know I am a tenant but to me this is quite simple. We did not have this issue when we had our own individual bins with our own bin sheds down the back.

“All we had to do was wheel them out and put them in the road. There was never this unsightly mess and problems with other people using them.

“For five years I have been on this. I should not have to. I live here but it is not my issue.

“Coventry City Council are legally responsible for the rubbish and that is the bottom line.”

Mr Speed said he contacted Citizen about the problem again last week, although Citizen said they have had no reports since last month.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:59 pm

Mr Speed said he contacted Citizen about the problem again last week, although Citizen said they have had no reports since last month.

I know which of the two I believe and it's not the lying bastards at Citizen! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:20 pm

They should revert back to individual bins and take this away to stop the dumping its making our city look like low life running it all.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:42 pm

Residents disgusted after street becomes fly-tipping hot spot due to 'overflowing' waste bins

Residents are "disgusted" after a public street became a fly-tipping hotspot due to "overflowing" waste bins.

Local resident Kelly Harrop has criticised Coventry City Council and housing provider Citizen for failing to resolve the ongoing issue of fly-tipping in Tile Hill.

The recycling bins, which are located at Pinnock Place, are at "full capacity" leaving residents no choice but to dump their rubbish in the public street, Kelly said.

Photos show items such as walking sticks and toys dumped into public bins spilling on to the pavement.

The public bins, which are located along Bushberry Avenue, have now become a hot spot for fly-tipping.

Kelly said the bin men have "stopped emptying" the recycling bins, forcing locals to find other places to dump their unwanted items.

She told Coventry Live: "I very rarely see council or Citizen litter pickers, but when I do they never do a proper job and leave so much behind.

"There is a constant concern of fly tipping in the communal bin areas and rubbish bags everywhere due to a lack of bin capacity.

"Residents in the area stopped recycling due to the fact the bin men stopped emptying them.

"People would put out recycling bins and the bin men repeatedly stopped taking them so folk became frustrated and gave up.

"Equally we have residents who take no pride, but most do their best.

"The fly tipping in the communal bin area is still there.

"The recycling bins are no longer being used because the council workers just stopped emptying them.

"So majority of residents put their recycling in the communal bin area because there are not enough waste bins there for all the residents.

"I have addressed this with both the Council and Citizen and they never respond."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News