Residents report hearing 'loudest boom' and 'explosion' in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Residents report hearing 'loudest boom' and 'explosion' in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:39 am

Social media is full of people asking if anyone else had 'experienced something weird'

Coventry residents took to social media tonight (Saturday) to discuss a loud noise which no one could quite identify.

Shortly before 10pm, comments on social media began asking the same question - what on earth was that noise?

"Just heard the loudest boom," read one tweet, before: "Was that an explosion or sonic boom in Coventry? I reckon it was the latter," said another.

Another added: "Did anybody else hear that noise in Coventry just now? It sounded almost WW2 bomb/sonic boom-like, it didn’t sound like a firework at all."

Conservative councillor Gary Ridley, of Woodlands Ward, tweeted: "Anyone else just experience something weird like a #sonicboom in #Coventry?"

Another tweeter responded: "Yah it was something really loud, it was so loud that it shook my walls. But I dont think that Its sonic boom [sic]."

Cllr Ridley added: "Sometimes it happens if the RAF scramble so it's possible."

Yet more people tried to explain what they thought it could be: "Whatever that loud bang was, it's only Coventry people talking about it on here, so that suggests to me it wasn't a sonic boom from an aircraft.

"If it was, it would surely have been heard in other places as the aircraft went over them. Don't know for sure, of course."

Another said that if there had been an explosion, there would have been an emergency response: "im sure we would have heard sirens within minutes though so im going with sound barrier [sic]."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Residents report hearing 'loudest boom' and 'explosion' in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:41 am

I assumed it was a firework?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:29 pm

I didn't hear anything, though the dog did bark a few times at something.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm

Bizarre moment 'explosion' lights up Coventry sky

This is the strange moment that Coventry was rocked by a loud, and bright explosion.

Residents across the city, and the wider Warwickshire area reported hearing a loud bang last night (Saturday, January 9).

Today, footage has emerged showing that just seconds before the loud noise was heard, a bright flash of light was seen high above the city.

Moving dots of light are also visible in the footage in the same area of sky.

It suggests that the cause of the mystery could have been a sonic boom from an aircraft - which can occur when military jets break the sound barrier in flight.

There has been previous reported incidents of this taking place above Coventry in the past.

However, it is not confirmed that this was the cause of last night's incident, and the Royal Air Force are currently remaining tight lipped.

The video was captured by a doorstep camera courtesy of Coventry residents Richard and Jo-Anne Barrick.

It is believed that the incident took place shortly before 10pm last night.

CoventryLive reported what people were saying about the mysterious boom last night and hundreds of you have had a say on our Facebook page.

While the noise remains a mystery people were keen to share their experience of the strange phenomenon and put forward theories about what it could have been.

Philippa King said: “Yes. So loud, shook all the windows. The rumbling went on for a while afterwards, sounded like an explosion - near Coundon wedge.”

Sonja Mahers said: “Yes, we heard it in Keresley off Watery Lane.”

Kimberly Jebson-Hambly said: “Heard in CV6...noise reverberated into the walls of the house.”

Ben Rose said: “Yes it rumbled a long time.”

The Royal Air Force (RAF) has been contacted for a comment.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News