Birmingham pub bombings campaigners fined over lockdown breach

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Birmingham pub bombings campaigners fined over lockdown breach

Postby dutchman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:32 pm

Campaigners attending a memorial to the Birmingham pub bombings have been issued with fixed penalty notices for breaching coronavirus restrictions

Six people, including Julie Hambleton, whose sister Maxine was killed in the 1974 attack, were given fines. Ms Hambleton has vowed not to pay it.

Lawyers acting for the six said the notices would be challenged.

The notices relate to a breach of regulations over the gathering of two or more in a public place, police said.

Last summer, Ms Hambleton announced she would stand in Police and Crime Commissioner elections in May 2021.

Earlier memorial events had been cancelled due to coronavirus restrictions and she said a convoy of cars - which eventually involved more than 500 people - had been agreed with West Midlands Police for the event on 21 November.

She said the group had complied with a request from the force not to gather at a mural dedicated to the 21 people who were killed in the attacks 46 years ago.

However, when the convoy broke up as planned at West Midlands Police's headquarters Lloyd House, a number of supporters gathered.

"When we pulled up, I then used the tannoy to thank everybody for being there. We weren't there even 15 minutes, everyone dispersed and people were wearing masks," Ms Hambleton said, adding she was socially distanced.

"Because they were there I couldn't ignore them.

"I am not paying the fine... to accept this fine would be to deny the death of our loved ones."

She said no officers had come out to warn those outside and described the decision to fine her and supporters as "crass".

Referencing the wording on the notice which says gathering "without a reasonable excuse", Ms Hambleton said: "Well what could be a better excuse? I'm loathed to use that word excuse, to remember our dead."

Nobody has been held to account for the attack which killed 21 people and injured 200 more. Police arrested and later released a man from Belfast in connection with the bombings, last year.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Birmingham pub bombings campaigners fined over lockdown breach

Postby rebbonk » Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:33 pm

This will go one of two ways. The police will back down, or it'll end up in a full-blown, very public and expensive court case. I reckon the former.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News