Coventry's Christmas bin collection details announced

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry's Christmas bin collection details announced

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Bosses are hoping for smooth service after issues in previous years

Details of Coventry’s Christmas bin collections have been announced.

There will be no household bin collections the week after Christmas but in the week leading up the 25th residents will receive an “extra collection”, the city council said.

The only exception is Christmas day itself, with residents who normally have their collection on Friday instead receiving a collection on Monday, December 28.

As December 28 is a non-working day for regular waste collection staff, the city council will rely on volunteers and temporary agency staff.

The use of agency staff has been problematic over the past two Christmases with some not turning up to work, leading to missed collections and criticisms of a “disastrous” service.

However the council’s head of waste Sarah Elliott said a number of agencies have been used this Christmas to provide temporary staff, with many already embedded into the council’s waste collection team having been used during the coronavirus pandemic.

And that could “reduce risk”, she said, as she hopes for a smooth service over Christmas and New Year.

Household bin collections will resume from January 4, with two additional recycling bags to be collected. Elsewhere, garden waste collections will be suspended from December 14, before returning in mid-January.

Bin collection calendars will be sent out on November 30, with additional recycling bags to follow.

Last year there were issues with some resident not receiving their recycling bags. A change has been made to have them delivered by Royal Mail “in the hope of not having the issues of last year”, Ms Elliott said.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry's Christmas bin collection details announced

Postby rebbonk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:55 pm

It's normal bin day round here tomorrow.

I've just walked the dog and the number of overflowing bins already out is mindboggling. What are they buying?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:12 pm

It's usually students having a clearout before going home for the holidays. The smell can be pretty bad by the time the bins are emptied.

Fly-tipping is a bigger problem around here as Whitefriars failed to make any provision for the 158 families being forcibly moved and their unwanted furniture.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:39 pm

I had an extra bin-liner stuffed through my letterbox when there was a wheelie bin just a few inches away from which it easily have been hung. :clown:

No sign of any bin collection calender though. :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:08 pm

I had a couple of extra bags left on the doormat a couple of weeks ago. Not a bin collection day, so I assume that they paid extra staff to deliver?
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:01 pm

As the link is missing from the council's website here is the relevant page:

https://www.coventry.gov.uk/news/articl ... ollections

There's a THREE-WEEK GAP between regular collections where I live! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:08 am

dutchman wrote:No sign of any bin collection calender though. :roll:

It arrived this morning by post! :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:16 am

Mine too!

I wonder how much the council have wasted on this little exercise? The calendars could have (should have?) been delivered with the extra bags.

They still continue with their profligate ways and increase our taxes to pay for it.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:33 pm

rebbonk wrote:Mine too!

I wonder how much the council have wasted on this little exercise? The calendars could have (should have?) been delivered with the extra bags.

They still continue with their profligate ways and increase our taxes to pay for it.

I said the same Rebbonk when I received mine . Last year the bin men gave me mine.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:19 pm

Bin collection delays expected due to staffing issues

Bin collection delays are expected as workers shield and self-isolate under current coronavirus restrictions.

Sarah Elliott, Head of waste services at Coventry City Council said the council’s team has been faced with “extra challenges” by the new Covid-19 lockdown.

A number of staff are now having to shield from the virus as per government guidance, while others are also currently self-isolating.

With fewer staff as a result, she asked for patience from residents if their bins are missed on regular collection days.

She said: “Christmas collections went smoothly with all rounds working before Christmas to ensure people went into the holiday period with empty bins.

“The latest restrictions, however, are creating some extra challenges as we have a number of crew members who are now shielding at home and some who are self-isolating.

“We are doing our best, with fewer people, to complete all rounds but people can help us by leaving their bins and clear sacks out if we don’t get to them on their scheduled day. We will return as soon as possible as we catch up.

“On behalf of all crews and our back room staff I’d like to thank people for their patience. The post-Christmas collections are the biggest of the year and we will clear them as soon as we can.”

Aside from expected delays in some bin collections, there are no changes to the service. The London Road tip is also unaffected.

dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News