Pub bans customers without face masks - even if they're exempt...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Pub bans customers without face masks - even if they're exempt...

Postby dutchman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am

The owner says he will "not put his staff at risk" but has come under fire over hidden disabilities

A pub has said it will refuse entry to anyone not wearing a face mask - even if they are exempt.

The Horse & Jockey in Corley shared its policy after receiving a negative review online from customer Sarah Robinson.

She gave the establishment a one-star rating on the pub's Facebook Page, saying the owner had "humiliated" her daughter, who she said has a hidden disability, for not wearing a face mask.

Her post read: "This pub and specifically it’s owner should be ashamed of themselves. Hate speech against people with hidden disabilities is illegal and yesterday the owner of this pub humiliated my daughter in front of all customers for not wearing a face mask, what absolutely disgusting behaviour, showing a complete lack of intelligence."

The pub, which has a 4.9 star rating out of five on Facebook from customers, confirmed its policy to CoventryLive.

The pub owner, who gave his name as Steve, said: "We asked the lady in question to put a face mask on to walk to her table and she refused to wear it. I am not prepared to put my staff at risk."

When asked if that included people who were exempt from wearing a mask, Steve said: "If you have not got a mask or cannot wear a mask you should not come in. It's on a big sign outside as well."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News