Hit and run victim says driver left him for dead...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Hit and run victim says driver left him for dead...

Postby dutchman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Paramedics told Craig Finch he was lucky to be alive after the crash on Foleshill Road

A mechanic who is struggling to walk after a hit-and-run in Coventry was told by paramedics that he is "lucky to be alive".

Craig Finch had to be cut free by firefighters after another car ploughed in to the one he was driving in Foleshill Road last Thursday morning (October 22).

The self-employed mobile mechanic, who was driving a customer's car he had just picked up, says the other driver came and peered at him through the car window, as he lay trapped inside, before fleeing the scene.

All of the emergency services responded to the crash at the junction with Matlock Road at 7.37am and police have confirmed that the crash is being treated as a hit-and-run.

Craig, from Whitley, told CoventryLive: "I had collected a customer's car and had come over the Courtaulds bridge, and as there was a tipper truck in the inside lane by Darlaston builders.

"I indicated as normal to move to the second line and was flashed by a Mercedes driver to come out.

"I started to turn and that's the last I remember as I was hit from behind. I ended up in the car on the pavement and I couldn't breathe.

"The guy (from the other car) came to my window and looked at me and looked petrified and thought he had killed me, and he ran off.

"I was trying to tell the people who were concerned about me that he had ran off and they said the police will get him."

It took the emergency services 45 minutes to cut Craig out of the car before he was taken to hospital with what the ambulance service described as "potentially serious injuries".

Craig, 40, says he was told by paramedics and firefighters at the scene that he was "lucky to be alive".

He says he is currently struggling to walk and has bruising to his back, meaning he is currently unable to work.

Craig says police officers joined him in the back of the ambulance after the crash to ask him who the car he was driving belonged to and asked about his insurance.

He says he has since learned from his insurers, and not the police, that the other driver who fled the scene was uninsured.

Despite this, Craig says West Midlands Police are yet to speak to him properly about the crash and have shown quite a "blase" attitude, which he has found "very, very frustrating".

He did however praise the firefighters and paramedics who came to his aid, describing their actions as "amazing".

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News