100-year-old oak tree chopped down in Nuneaton...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

100-year-old oak tree chopped down in Nuneaton...

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:01 pm

The council said it was unsafe

A 100-year-old oak tree has been chopped down in Nuneaton for safety reasons.

The council said the tree had grown too close to the Cleaver Gardens flats.

Some residents were upset as they ssaid they had not been informed of the decision to remove the tree yesterday (October 21).

Councillor Chris Watkins, cabinet member for housing and communities at the Town Hall, said it was not safe to stay.

He said: “Unfortunately there was a tree that needed to be removed because it was found to be diseased after assessment by our tree officer.

"We were on site yesterday (October 21) carrying out other tree removal work at Cleaver Gardens where trees had grown very close to the building.

“We always put the health and safety of our residents first, and after careful consideration I made the decision that this programme of work should go ahead.

"The last thing we want is for storm or high winds to bring down a tree causing damage to the building or worse, injury to a resident or passer by."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: 100-year-old oak tree chopped down in Nuneaton...

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:04 pm

I can sympathise with the council. There's a tree near me which loses a large branch every time there's a storm and it's directly above a pedestrian footpath.

There was another outside Spon Gate House which after being cut down was found to be rotten to the core.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News