Coventry's oldest pub warns another lockdown will be 'final nail in coffin'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry's oldest pub warns another lockdown will be 'final nail in coffin'

Postby dutchman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:53 pm

Landlady Michelle Gilmour says she is 'still smiling' as she fights for the survival of The Old Windmill

The landlady of Coventry’s oldest pub has warned that a second shutdown will be the end of the road for the business despite staff working "flat out" to keep it afloat.

The award-winning Old Windmill, in Spon Street, has already been struggling to overcome the impact of the 10pm curfew, which has reduced its trade by 30 per cent.

The Prime Minister is now reportedly drawing up plans to order pubs and restaurants across northern England to close in an effort to arrest a rapid increase in Covid-19 cases.

Coventry is among places where coronavirus rates are also rapidly increasing, and any similar decision here under a ‘three tier lockdown’ system is likely to have a devastating impact on the pub trade.

Landlady Michelle Gilmour and her staff have already tried everything in their power to survive after reopening the 15th century, CAMRA-commended pub in July.

She said: “It would be final nail in the coffin. We came out of lockdown with the motto of ‘adapt or die’ and spent money on outdoor spaces, including shelters and heating, as well as all the necessary precautions such as personal protective equipment.

“We all worked flat out and we’d finally got to a point where we were not making a loss and doing enough to survive. Then the 10pm curfew was brought in.

“We are a wet-led, city centre pub and it wiped out 30 per cent of trade in one go. If there is another shut down now I can’t see how we could continue without proper support from the Government and the pubco’s.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry's oldest pub warns another lockdown will be 'final nail in coffin'

Postby rebbonk » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:45 pm

I suspect this is not the only pub staring down the abyss. The landlady of my local told me that she was fearful of the future. What many people don't realise is that whilst we were under lockdown, pubcos didn't write rents off, they merely deferred them.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:10 pm

Well it did say on that link I placed on Brussels is out to distroy all culture identity is nt British pubs part of our culture?
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:41 pm

It is Melisandre.

It is also a place where people gather freely and discuss things. - Something that governments don't like as they can't control the discussions.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:55 pm

rebbonk wrote:It is Melisandre.

It is also a place where people gather freely and discuss things. - Something that governments don't like as they can't control the discussions.

Exactly nor can they watch and listen nor police in to whats being said or planned per ususal destroying our way of life bit by bit which started with pubs by banning smoking .
Melisandre

Return to News