Revellers in 40 vehicles flout Covid-19 rules as they turn car park 'into Brands Hatch'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Revellers in 40 vehicles flout Covid-19 rules as they turn car park 'into Brands Hatch'

Postby dutchman » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Police were called to reports of the 'nuisance' gathering outside the 'de Lux' cinema in Coventry

A large gathering involving people in around 40 cars and vans turned the Showcase de Lux Cinema car park “into Brands Hatch” for several hours at the weekend.

Members of the group drove around the lot “at speed”, ignored Covid-19 restrictions and appeared to leave behind piles of laughing gas canisters at the meeting place in Coventry.

Police were called to reports of the “nuisance” gathering, on the Cross Point retail park in Gieguld Way, where they advised people of coronavirus measures and seized a vehicle for being uninsured.

The ‘rule of six’ currently applies across indoor and outdoor settings, with officers able to disperse meetings exceeding this number and fine those involved.

A visitor to the cinema on Sunday, who asked not to be named, saw at least 30 people taking part in the gathering at around 7.30pm.

The customer said: “The car park was liked Brands Hatch. The main gathering was at the far end, the farthest point from the cinema tucked up by the undergrowth but for some reason there were cars and vans constantly being driven around at speed. They would start where the main gathering was and just drive round the car park, or in loops around the retail park.

“It was dark and it would only have taken someone to have stepped out at the wrong time for the worst to happen. A police van turned up just as I got there, appeared to pull up next to some of the parked vehicles and then drive off, after which they carried on.

“There were also about twenty to thirty people engaged in a rowdy party between a van and a car. There was no sign of social distancing whatsoever, I could even see a playfight. There were spent laughing gas canisters in piles around the car park.

“At the cinema I walked past three security guards in high-viz jackets trying to keep an eye on things, they were doing their best to help the few customers who had turned up, opening doors and guiding them inside. At least two members of staff were also watching from behind the glass inside the cinema, they were clearly on edge.”

The customer added: "It's hard enough for the film world to get back on its feet as it is, with only a handful of people turning up to screenings. I feel for the staff."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News