Supermarkets prepare for more panic buying

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Supermarkets prepare for more panic buying

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons and Asda prepared for new panic buying

There are signs people are stocking up ahead of a second national lockdown.

The big supermarket chains are showing signs people could be starting to stock up ahead of the expected announcement of new national lockdown restrictions.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to make a statement to the nation on TV on Tuesday.

New restrictions have already been brought in - including a ban on gatherings larger than six and businesses having to take data for track and trace.

Now Mr Johnson is expected to warn there could be more ahead - with the potential for a national 'circuit break'.

That could mean a two-week partial lockdown, with some businesses closed, people told to work from home and 10pm curfew on pubs and restaurants.

According to MailOnline Morrisons is reinstating door marshalls at almost 500 branches.

According to The Mirror Tesco, which has doubled its online shopping capacity to 1.5million slots a week, is now fully booked until Wednesday.

The report says Ocado now has a three-week waiting list for deliveries and Sainsbury's is seeing 'high demand'.

Andrew Opie, head of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium, said: “We urge consumers to be considerate and shop for food as they would usually during this difficult time.”

One supermarket worker told The Mirror: “Some people are definitely panic buying again. We have 4,000 more items this weekend than we usually would.

“We have seen an increase in people over the last few weeks.

“When the panic buying started months ago, we hadn’t experienced it. We are prepared now.”

At four big name supermarkets in London yesterday many items were running low - including eggs, kitchen paper, pasta and wet wipes.

At one branch of Asda a man was buying five 16-roll packs of toilet paper and four 5kg bags of rice.

The shopper, who did not want to be named, said: “I’m not panic buying, I’m preparing. I’m an old man, I can’t be going to the shops every day. I couldn’t get a delivery slot for today.”

Morrisons has tightened social distancing rules at almost 500 stores.

Shopper Ceri Marshall, 53 admitted she took her mum shopping after hearing about panic buying.

She said: “One of the girls in work told me it was going on and they were running out of toilet roll at Asda.

“I hope people don’t start to panic buy, it just makes it worse for everyone.”

Mum Lisa Patterson, 33, admitted she had stockpiled last time but said she would not be doing it again.

“It is a bit daft and I’m not sure people will be so daft this time,” Lisa added.

And retired carpenter Cyril Draper, 92, said: “It is crazy – I’ve lived through a lot and you won’t catch me panicking.”

Source: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/uk-world-news/tesco-sainsburys-morrisons-asda-prepared-18968168
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: Supermarkets prepare for more panic buying

Postby rebbonk » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:01 pm

I did observe several shelves running low at Tesco this morning as I wandered around. - Most notably pasta and bread.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:29 pm

Why on earth do people hoard eggs? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:41 pm

The plan is to distribute food across the 3 rd world countries evenly to us . We have enough if people dont panic buy.
On you tube African white farmers are being tortured to death farm s burnt down by gangs and the farms are left to rot whats left of them after burning them down as the Africans dont know how to work farms.

America who feeds the world wont be able to produce enough either because of the covid not getting in the pickers etc like here also on you tube the farmers are saying in America because of the change of the earth with the sun their farms will have to move further south to get the right conditions to grow.
There is also some thing about Australia on their news which I am awaiting my daughter to send me.

As I said toyou Dutchman weeks ago it was on the news for us to start growing our own food i our gardens.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:55 pm

Melisandre wrote:The plan is to distribute food across the 3 rd world countries evenly to us.

That's never going to work.

Melisandre wrote:America who feeds the world

Not quite Melisandre, Holland is the second biggest food exporter after the United States! :yellow_grin:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:37 pm

dutchman wrote:That's never going to work.

Well thats what is planned.

dutchman wrote:Not quite Melisandre, Holland is the second biggest food exporter after the United States! :yellow_grin:

Will we still have a trade deal for food though after Britex with the EU.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:45 pm

The EU won't be around much longer so I don't think that will matter. :yellow_grin:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes I did watch on you tube how Europe is now ruined.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:01 pm

rebbonk wrote:I did observe several shelves running low at Tesco this morning as I wandered around. - Most notably pasta and bread.

Tinned tomatoes had run out at Morrisons again, although most other tinned good were in strong supply.

Also, and this happened last time, the budget kitchen rolls had all gone. :fuming:

Trade was 'brisk' for a Monday evening but there were few signs of the queues or barriers I had read to expect.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:46 pm

Shoppers ignore pleas not to panic buy as they descend on stores in Coventry

Shelves are being stripped at supermarkets across Coventry as shoppers ignore calls to exercise restraint amid a rise in Covid-19 cases and new government restrictions.

Large queues built up inside stores this afternoon (Thursday), with Morrisons acting pre-emptively by reintroducing rationing for some household items.

Toilet roll, flour, bottled water and long-life food and milk were in particular demand.

Some retailers, including Iceland and Wilko, both in the city centre, also planned ahead by running promotions of discounted loo roll at the front of the stores.

At Morrisons on the Alvis Retail Park, shelves stocking bottled water were half empty, while display boxes of wet wipes had been completely stripped. Demand was also high for tinned food and paracetamol.

A notice on the toilet roll shelves said: “Making more items available for more customers.

“Toilet Paper is limited to a maximum of 3 items per customer.”

A large queue of up to 30 people had built up at the self-scan tills inside the store off the Holyhead Road.

At Wilko in Cathedral Lanes shopping centre toilet paper was also in high demand, with two shoppers stocking up on all they could carry.

Gaps had also started to appear on shelves at the Sainsbury’s Local nearby in the city centre, where queues were snaking back into the aisles.

A member of the staff said: “We’ve been busy, busy. I wouldn’t say people are panic buying but they are understandably concerned and they want to stock up.”

Fears of a fresh wave of panic buying has led Morrisons to bring in rationing on selected items, with a spokesman telling ITV News: “We are introducing a limit on a small number of key products, such as toilet roll and disinfectant. Our stock levels of these products are good but we want to ensure that they are available for everyone.”

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News