Marauding bikers 'treating Coventry neighbourhood like Silverstone'

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Marauding bikers 'treating Coventry neighbourhood like Silverstone'

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:04 pm

Up to 50 off-road bikers have been spotted pulling wheelies and riding on the wrong side of the road

A group of off-road bikers is treating a Coventry neighbourhood “like Silverstone” by pulling stunts and descending on public roads en masse, residents say.

The motor and quad bike users were caught on dashcam on Charter Avenue, which runs through Canley and Westwood Heath on the outskirts of the city.

Around 40 riders were said to have been driving recklessly without number plates on Tuesday (September 15), when it’s thought they were also on roads between Stoneleigh and Gibbet Hill.

Dashcam footage shows the group riding along the public highway, encroaching onto the middle of the road as they exit a roundabout, with one pulling a wheelie.

A motorist said: “We were driving along Charter Avenue and just before the roundabout of Charter Avenue with Mitchel Avenue one of the bikers almost crashed into our car as he exited the roundabout directly into our lane. Some of the bikers were doing wheelies. Almost all the bikers were driving recklessly and they were a danger to us and everyone else driving in the area.”

A pedestrian also reported the group in an email sent to Cllr David Skinner (Westwood).

The person said: “I was walking home along Mitchell Avenue past Westwood School towards Charter Avenue when I was passed by four quad bikes – one towing a second.

“They were accompanied by six motorbikes, three of them doing wheelies out into the centre of the road despite the presence of significant oncoming traffic.

“None of them had registration plates, indicating they were all illegal vehicles.

“Ten minutes later I encountered a lone motorbike rider racing around the field between Ten Shilling and Park Wood. He subsequently went part way up Charter Avenue before hurrying back. I last saw him entering Hancock Green. Again it was an unregistered bike”.

At one point on Tuesday, the group reportedly drove the wrong way round a traffic island.

A road user said: “We were coming off the A46 at Stoneleigh and they were coming off the same junction from Coventry. There were at least forty to fifty of them.

“They drove down the wrong side of the road, doing wheelies, and drove the wrong way round the island in order to overtake the cars waiting at the roadwork red lights and go through the red lights.

“We followed them all the way through Gibbet Hill. There were no registration numbers, so there was nothing we could do to report them”

A resident in the neighbourhood around Park Wood in Westwood ward warned the problem would only get worse if action was not taken to curb the anti-social biking.

The person said: “From being outside in the garden on Saturday afternoon it sounded like Silverstone.

“I could hear various motorbikes and scramblers from the direction of Park Wood.

“Given the noise I suspect it was the same lot as on Tuesday.

“It continued on Sunday afternoon.

“It will only get worse as they will become emboldened further if no action is taken.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Marauding bikers 'treating Coventry neighbourhood like Silverstone'

Postby Melisandre » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:25 pm

Lol Nothing new to Coventry.

Simular like these we had for years over Wood End years ago we get them on the lane.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:47 pm

Grant the driver immunity and send this down. Only ever need to do it once!

Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm

:lol: :applause:
Melisandre

Return to News