Coventry flats plan thrown out after ‘sardines’ comparison

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry flats plan thrown out after ‘sardines’ comparison

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:45 pm

The property is currently vacant

A bid to turn a vacant building into flats has been thrown out by Coventry council planners after it was branded “over-development” with parking for “sardines”.

The city council’s planning committee voted down Midland Heart’s plans for St. Thomas House, on Albany Road, four against and three in support.

The developer sought to change the use from a house of multiple occupation (HMO) to a seven-bed apartment block, although the council had no record of it being a HMO in the first place.

“Presently the site has been vacant for several years,” case officer Darren Henry told a committee meeting on September 17, recommending it for approval.

“The proposal therefore presents an opportunity to bring back into use an attractive and locally-valued building whilst at the same time provide much-needed low cost housing.”

However the plans for locally-listed building within St. Thomas Court – a residential community – sparked concerns over parking, provision of bins and totally ‘market housing’ instead of ‘social housing’.

Planning member Cllr Catherine Miks said: “I don’t think it’s fit for purpose. I think it’s over-development.

“It may not be part of the court but the building is in that area and to me there is absolutely no way there’s enough parking facilities. I hope we can come to something else. Sardines comes to mind.”

Giving reasons for refusal, chair of planning Cllr Lindsley Havard added: “I wasn’t happy with the change of use from social housing for single people – which it was, not a HMO – to single-bedroom flats for sale.

“We have got a desperate, urgent need for social housing for single people.”

The application had 10 car parking spaces which met council policy, however concern was raised as to whether bin provision would have removed two spaces, thus failing to hit that target.

A petition of 32 signatures supported by Cllr Naeem Akhtar was raised against the bid, with one resident at the meeting claiming their concerns had been met by a “wall of silence” by the developer.

In planning statements submitted to the council the developer said the scheme would “allow this large building in the heart of Coventry to come back into circulation and provide housing for the area”.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry flats plan thrown out after ‘sardines’ comparison

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:53 pm

It was originally the vicarage of neighbouring St Thomas Church which can seen on the left here during a visit by the Duchess of Albany after whom Albany Road was renamed:

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:31 pm

Such a lovely old photo no doubt looking at the before and after photos they knocked the church down.

All new builds have sardine parking now nor do they consider visitor parking.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:48 pm

Low-rise flats were built on the site of the church, estensibly for 'disabled' residents although I've seen no evidence for that. The vicarage became a half-way house for mental patients. The whole area is zoned for 'communal' use only.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:32 pm

At least low built flats are nt an eye sore and it would nt surprise me if disabled dont live in them.

The house was used for a good cause then. At least the house still stands lets hope it does nt get knocked down like usual when plans are stopped.
Melisandre

Return to News