Council defends 'utterly bonkers' decision to allow funfair

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Council defends 'utterly bonkers' decision to allow funfair

Postby dutchman » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:41 pm

Some other councils have cancelled funfairs in light of the 'rule of six' restrictions

A councillor has branded a decision to permit a funfair during tighter Covid rules as “utterly bonkers” – but the council has defended the move.

Cllr Allan Andrews believes Coventry City Council should have postponed Barker’s Amusements’ funfair at Hearsall Common in Earlsdon - a two-week event which began last Friday – in light of heightened ‘rule of six’ restrictions.

Funfair bosses confirmed a string of safety measures had been implemented for a ‘safe and fun environment’.

Southampton City Council, Salisbury City Council and Scarborough Borough Council are among authorities which have pulled the plug on popular funfairs this week due to the latest coronavirus rule changes, but Coventry City Council has not followed suit.

Coventry City Council gave the attraction the nod at the end of July but Cllr Andrews – who challenged it again last week at full council – believes the decision is “inconsistent” with Covid-19 messages at a time stricter rules on gatherings have come into place, with positive cases in the West Midlands also rising.

The council said government guidelines permit funfairs and that the organisers have a set of clear Covid-19 safety measures including track and trace, while the organisers themselves have moved to reassure visitors and say the event is a “safe environment”.

Whilst having “no doubt” the operators will enforce measures, Cllr Andrews believes it should have been postponed to send out a clear message to residents on gatherings.

“If I was part of the ruling group I would have been saying this cannot go ahead in the current climate,” Cllr Andrews, councillor for Earlsdon and opposition deputy leader, said.

“You cannot be asking people to make certain sacrifices with the new rule of six and then saying people can go to a funfair. It feels odd and inconsistent.

“I have no doubt the operators have done what they can to make sure it is secure.

“The safety advisers have said no to some events. You cannot have the Park Run but you can have a fun fair – it seems to me to be utterly bonkers.

“We have to send a clear message and allowing this to go ahead undermines that. I think they are wrong in allowing this.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Council defends 'utterly bonkers' decision to allow funfair

Postby rebbonk » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Defending the indefensible?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:31 pm

Funfair sets up next to Ricoh Arena's coronavirus testing centre in time for half-term

Coventry residents have slammed a funfair being set-up for half-term - just yards from a Covid-19 testing centre.

The Pleasureland Theme Park fair has arrived in the car park of the Ricoh Arena as the number of coronavirus cases in Coventry continues to rise.

It will run from October 22 to November 1.

But some residents have blasted the decision to set up the funfair for the half-term holidays just a stone’s throw away from the regional Covid-19 testing site on the other side of the A444 as“barmy”.

The stadium is also the home of Wasps Rugby Club, where 11 players and three staff members are currently self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus.

Tommy Wilson, owner of the Pleasureland Theme Park experience which is run by Wilson’s Amusements, said his fair met all the Government requirements to make it Covid safe and people had more chance of catching the virus while shopping.

Owner Tommy Wilson said: “We are one of the safest fairs in the country, our cleaning regimes are second to none and we do everything we can to keep our customers safe.

“We operate a wrist band policy to keep numbers down, we are running at 60 per cent capacity so social distancing is easier to maintain.

“There’s hand sanitisers on every ride and stall, which we make people use, and we clean the rides regularly with an industrial cleaning sanitiser which lasts for 28 days.

“I have my children and grandchildren here and I am not going to do anything to jeopardise their health.”

Mr Wilson added: “You are more likely to catch the virus in your local Tesco with lots of people handling the same items and putting them back on shelves.

“I understand some people are still frightened but we must find a way to keep going. Everybody who has visited our fairs this year has given us tremendous feedback on how safe they felt. We meet all health and safety guidelines.

“The testing centre just happens to be over the road after the Ricoh moved the car park location at the last minute.

“There’s not much we can do about that but we continue to operate in a safe and responsible manner.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 pm

I truly despair at our council.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:38 am

Boy, 15, arrested after Ricoh Arena car park funfair stabbing

A 15-year-old b0y was arrested after a stabbing at a funfair in Coventry.

Police officers were called to the fair in the Ricoh Arena car park, off Jimmy Hill Way, on Saturday evening (October 31).

A 22-year-old man was found with injuries and was taken to hospital where he remains in a stable condition.

West Midlands Police is appealing for witnesses to come forward.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News