'Around 500 people' said to have gathered at street party in Coventry broken up by police

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

'Around 500 people' said to have gathered at street party in Coventry broken up by police

Postby dutchman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:18 pm

Police were called to disperse large crowd of youths who had gathered in a residential neighbourhood

More than 500 people are said to have gathered at a street party in Cheylesmore against restrictions that remain in place to prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Police were called to disperse the gathering last night (Friday 24), which involved a DJ and the crowd who mingled outside in the residential neighbourhood.

Officers moved in following complaints from residents who dialled 999 as the revellers listened to loud rap music and flouted social distancing rules.

One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said: “There was a lockdown party with a DJ in a residential area with around five hundred people in total, including some smoking weed. There were a hundred on a small green but there were hundreds more nearby in the neighbourhood. They first met in a community centre car park and then they moved on from there. There were people going round in cars, doing laughing gas and some were wearing balaclavas, I don't know why.

"I was really worried as were my children. We were told the people at the party are part of a new gang that has been formed. I really hope other residents aren’t suffering.”

The gathering took place in Campion Close after warnings from West Midlands Police about illegal raves and car cruising this weekend.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News