Nuneaton school closes 'as a precaution' after two confirmed Covid-19 cases

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Nuneaton school closes 'as a precaution' after two confirmed Covid-19 cases

Postby dutchman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:18 pm

A text has been sent to all parents

A Nuneaton school has been forced to close after two confirmed Covid-19 cases.

Simon Pearson, headteacher at Wembrook Primary School , told CoventryLive he took the decision "as a precaution" after two staff members tested positive for the virus.

A text message was sent to parents first thing this morning to advise them that the school would be closed today (July 3).

"It is in very early stages, we have had two adults, not children, who have tested positive for Covid-19,"Mr Pearson said.

"So, as a precaution, I took the decision to close the school today. The school shuts at a lunchtime on a Friday anyway, so parents are used to us closing early but I took the decision, as a precaution, to close the school all day.

"In conjunction with Public Health England Warwickshire, I made this decision and I am due to have a meeting with them this morning to see what steps we take next.

"It is our intention to re-open on Monday but we are meeting to decide what to do next.

"Both the safety of the children and our staff is the most important thing to us."

The Nuneaton-based school is not the only one to have suffered Covid-19 cases in the borough.

The Cannons School in Bedworth also had a "small number of cases of COVID-19 in members of the school community, in both pupils and staff" at the start of June.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News