Mum and daughter asked to leave Asda because of their 'inappropriate' crop tops

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Mum and daughter asked to leave Asda because of their 'inappropriate' crop tops

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:47 pm

Chantell Humphreys and her daughter Isabelle were asked to leave the Asda store in Broadstairs, Kent, for wearing outfits that were "not appropriate" for a family supermarket

A mum and her daughter who were asked to leave an Asda store because of their "inappropriate" outfits have hit out at the supermarket.

Chantell Humphreys, 46, and her daughter Isabelle, 18, a care worker, were both wearing crop tops when they visited the Westwood Cross supermarket in Broadstairs, Kent.

But upon entering the store they were both "totally insulted" after they were allegedly asked to leave the supermarket because of what they were wearing, Chantell told The Sun.

Explaining their choice of outfit, she explained: "It was a boiling hot day. We were not going to go in wearing scarves and coats."

Chantell added: "She said what we were wearing was not allowed. She said it was because of our tops. I said this is ridiculous."

A male manager then came to assist his female colleague, who agreed that the outfit was "not appropriate" and that they should leave.

Chantell said that the manager compared their outfits to those similar to a man entering their store without a top on, which completely stunned her.

She added: "Everybody was looking at us. It was very sexist and insulting."

Although the manager eventually told the pair they could continue shopping, they left and vowed that they would never shop in that store again despite visiting it for years.

Although a spokesperson for Asda acknowledges that whilst the weather is warm it's only expected that some people will be visiting the beach, they are asking customers to continue to "dress appropriately" whilst shopping.

They said: "We understand that with the warm weather some of our customers may be visiting the beach, however, we would ask them to consider other customers and dress appropriately when they shop."

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Mum and daughter asked to leave Asda because of their 'inappropriate' crop tops

Postby Melisandre » Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:04 pm

I think this American owned store ought to look at their own stores on the kind of people that go in over there.

Melisandre

Re: Mum and daughter asked to leave Asda because of their 'inappropriate' crop tops

Postby rebbonk » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:56 pm

My opinion is that they look a bit of a mess, but I'd hardly say they shouldn't be allowed in. If you open your eyes you can usually see much worse on the streets of Coventry.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:20 am

Call me odd but I don't visit a supermarket in order to judge what other shoppers are wearing? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News