Begging ban in Coventry city centre approved despite criticism from campaigners

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Begging ban in Coventry city centre approved despite criticism from campaigners

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:23 pm

It was due to expire in July

A ban on ‘persistent’ begging in Coventry city centre will be extended after backing from councillors, despite last-ditch opposition from a human rights group.

The Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) has been in place since July 2017 and imposes restrictions on beggars, street traders or buskers.

Those whose behaviour is deemed to be “persistent”, “unreasonable”, or has a “detrimental effect on the quality of life” of others can be fined £100, lowered to £60 if paid within 14 days, or taken to court if it is not paid at all.

The order has largely been used against beggars with figures revealing more than 1,000 breach notices have been issued since inception, with a further 59 fixed penalty notices, and 17 court prosecutions.

In comparison, just 10 breach notices have been issued in the three-year period for street traders and 25 for buskers.

Cabinet member for enforcement Cllr Abdul Khan said the PSPO had its benefits – a stance supported by West Midlands Police and Coventry Business Improvement District in consultation.

He said: “We draw a clear distinction between beggars and people who are homeless.

“Nothing we do will criminalise people who are genuinely homeless.

“If we think someone is homeless Tariq [Khan] as cabinet member [responsible for homelessness] and his team will do everything they can to get them off the streets.

“Begging is simply people who have got accommodation but are just causing nuisance and making the city centre unwelcoming.”

The authority said the order aims to create “a welcoming environment” for visitors, retailers and workers in the city by discouraging anti-social behaviour in the city.

The PSPO will be extended for three years from July 17.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Begging ban in Coventry city centre approved despite criticism from campaigners

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:24 pm

As far as I can tell they've just moved from the city centre to the retail parks? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Begging ban in Coventry city centre approved despite criticism from campaigners

Postby rebbonk » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:15 pm

In a very rare event, I'm with the council here. People need to be able to go about their business without being harassed.

dutchman wrote:As far as I can tell they've just moved from the city centre to the retail parks? :roll:

I've not noticed any at the Ricoh, but I might be up too early for them.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:29 pm

They're a permanent fixture at the Alvis which is private property so no reason the management can't get a court order to remove them.

Spon End Lane is another hotspot, they lie on the floor outside the off-licences.
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News