"Boris declares war on fat"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

"Boris declares war on fat"

Postby dutchman » Fri May 15, 2020 8:05 pm

PM ditches his 'nanny state' worries and demands action

Boris Johnson is planning a war on obesity after deciding his own touch-and-go battle with coronavirus was exacerbated by him being overweight.

The PM is ready to ditch long-standing opposition to 'nanny state' policies and launch a crackdown on the nation's bulging waistlines after coronavirus is defeated.

He's told senior advisers that the experience - which he famously said 'could have gone either way' - has left him determined to lead a public health drive.

Boris Johnson is determined to get Britain cycling, colleagues claim, as he declares war on fat following his brush with coronavirus

Being obese doubles the risk of needing hospital treatment for coronavirus, research shows.

And with one in three British adults now clinically obese, the UK has one of the highest rates in the world.

According to The Times, Mr Johnson told some of his colleagues 'it's all right for you thinnies' as he discussed the danger being overweight presents for Covid patients.

His own weight was 17-and-a-half stone before he went into hospital, putting his BMI at 36 when his 5ft9in height is taken into account and placing him over the BMI of 30 that means a person is obese.

The Prime Minister is determined to use the coronavirus pandemic to get people to be healthier and is said to be 'obsessed' with getting people to cycle to work.

His swing toward interventionism follows a long-standing opposition to 'nanny state' measures and scepticism about the sugar tax, which he pledged to review, among other 'sin taxes'.

It put him at odds with Health Secretary Matt Hancock, who firmly believes that the sugar tax - brought in back in April 2018 - has been a 'total triumph'.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Boris declares war on fat"

Postby rebbonk » Fri May 15, 2020 8:29 pm

I guess we're about to see a raft of new 'sinners' taxes?

Johnson will find it's not quite as clear cut as he thinks to get people fitter and lighter. It's not just about sugar intake and getting people to cycle to work.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: "Boris declares war on fat"

Postby Melisandre » Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 am

Sorry but from the start I did nt believe Boris had the virus and still dont it was convient his girfriend had her baby when she did !!!!!. .funny is nt it I swear the dads were allowed maternity leave time .

As of fat people some its in their genes some through glands not working right thyroid can cause this too also people suffer with Oedema and then you ve got brown fat or has he forgot this.
It has even recently been discovered if a pregnant woman is not sufficiently fed while carrying her baby the baby will be obese .
We get changing weather which plays havoc on our system and mostly cold weather makes your body crave carbs (fuel) we do not live in a warm Mediterranean country most people I know that has lost lots of weight have ended up with cancers or is this is what they want for the pharmaceutical companys or their perfect society.
My great grandad was that heavy they had to drag him down the garden on the ice by his boots when he died and he was in his late 80s.

I wonder how Boris will get the over weight nurses and doctors who also smoke etc to follow his war on fat.
Melisandre

Return to News