Morrisons to change customers queue outside stores as supermarket launches 'Speedy Shopper' lanes

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Morrisons to change customers queue outside stores as supermarket launches 'Speedy Shopper' lanes

Postby dutchman » Thu May 14, 2020 2:59 pm

The new rules should cut down the length of queues massively

Morrisons has launched a new rule for shoppers queueing outside of its supermarkets, which should cut down waiting times massively.

As of today, a new system has been put in place across all Morrisons stores called 'Speedy Shoppers' - great for those buying for smaller households.

Since not all customers take the same amount of time to shop around, the supermarket chain has now started letting three people using baskets into a store - 'Speedy Shoppers'- for every one person using a trolley - 'Big Shop'.

It should shorten the amount of time at the checkout for customers doing smaller ‘basket shops', so they can get in and out of a store and complete their shop much quicker.

Clear signage has been placed outside the entrances of stores, with Morrisons marshals on hand to help customers choose a 'Speedy Shopping' or 'Big Shop' queue - to minimise queueing where possible.

There's also dedicated Speedy Shopper checkouts, with more 'card only' self-scan tills becoming available.

The new system will ensure customers wanting to shop for a small basket of essentials will queue for less time outside of the store, and checkout quicker once inside.

David Potts, Chief Executive of Morrisons, said: “ It’s fair that customers doing smaller shopping trips should queue for less time too.

"Speedy Shopping will ensure that Morrisons stores will be more convenient for customers wanting a small basket of items."

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Morrisons to change customers queue outside stores as supermarket launches 'Speedy Shopper' lanes

Postby dutchman » Thu May 14, 2020 3:02 pm

It's a bloody shambles inside the Holyhead Road store. People are being funneled into tight spaces with no opportunity to distance themselves. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Morrisons to change customers queue outside stores as supermarket launches 'Speedy Shopper' lanes

Postby Melisandre » Thu May 14, 2020 5:35 pm

I am not surprised it covers a big area.
They are proberly trying to get their losses back.
Last edited by Melisandre on Fri May 15, 2020 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Thu May 14, 2020 6:34 pm

I don't think supermarkets have made any losses yet Melisandre. But I think several will once this is all over. I see at least one supermarket chain collapsing (or severely retrenching/restructuring) over the next couple of years. They've been protected by government policy on competition for the time being, but that won't last. People are rightly upset that some have actively raised their prices where no shortages or supply disruption were experienced.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Fri May 15, 2020 2:58 pm

Yes there has been proffits but people started to realise most local shops had the goods the supermarkets did nt and people are still getting shopping from their local shops which they use to get from the big supermarkets so they have lost there.

Yes the local shops did the same charging more and reading public comments on an assortment of of news sites over the last several weeks all are saying they will remember these shops when its all over and will boycotting them local and big supermarkets.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Fri May 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Surely giving priority to people with baskets encourages them to make unnecessary extra trips to the supermarket? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Fri May 15, 2020 9:24 pm

Yes I agree it just makes you wonder what kind of brains they have working there. How oaps can carry a heavy basket around such a vast store space.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Fri May 15, 2020 10:05 pm

it's not for the benefit of the consumer, it's for the benefit of their bottom line. If people take the basket option, they'll visit more frequently. If they visit more frequently, they'll spend more than they intend, more times.

When I visit I'm one of the few with a list. If it's not on the list, I don't buy. Others rarely have my organisation or self-discipline.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri May 15, 2020 10:16 pm

Morrison's have separate checkout queues for baskets and trolleys but where they end they are just inches apart! :clown:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Fri May 15, 2020 10:33 pm

Last week I was requested to take a very full trolley (monthly pet food, plus my normal weekly shop) through Tesco's basket only checkout. The girl on the till told me very few were using baskets.
rebbonk

Next

Return to News