On yer bikes...

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

On yer bikes...

Postby dutchman » Sat May 09, 2020 10:39 pm

UK commuters face cycling or walking to work once lockdown is eased

More commuters should consider cycling or walking when Britain’s coronavirus lockdown is eased to take the pressure off public transport capacity that is likely to drop by 90% under social distancing requirements, Transport Minister Grant Shapps said on Saturday.

He urged people to continue to work from home where possible, but said those who did have to commute to work should consider cycling or walking rather than using their cars.

The requirement for buses, trains and underground rail services to maintain social distancing rules means they will only be able to carry vastly reduced passenger numbers. But an increase in private car use to commute to work is likely to lead to roads and motorways becoming choked with traffic.

“Even with public transport reverting to a full service, once you take into account the two-metre social distancing rule, there would only be effective capacity for one in 10 passengers in many parts of our network, just a tenth of the old capacity,” said Shapps.

He noted that in some parts of Britain there had been a 70% rise in the number of people using bikes during the pandemic.

“Whilst it’s crucial that we stay at home, when the country does get back to work we need to ask those people to carry on walking and cycling and for them to be joined by many others as well,” he said.

Shapps said local councils will be required to reallocate road space for significantly-increased numbers of cyclists and pedestrians.

He said pop-up bike lanes with protected space for cycling, wider pavements, safer junctions, and cycle and bus-only corridors will be created within weeks, while E-scooter trials will be brought forward, with the potential for rental vehicles on UK roads as early as June.

:rolling:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: On yer bikes...

Postby Melisandre » Sun May 10, 2020 12:14 am

So he wants more people in hospital like Boris was as he cycles every where. Inhaling deisel fumes are well know for causing pneumonia and unleaded petrol fumes cancer.

My son in law was told a few years back by his doctor his breathing and terrible chest is caused through him being on a bike behind traffic breathing in traffic fumes and advised him to wear a mask.

The damage to our health from traffic polution has been known since the 1920s hence why Malls in the USA and precients here were built so we would nt be inhaling the fumes while shopping.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 10, 2020 2:35 am

Schapps can get stuffed! I'll be using my car. I have no intention of using public transport and subjecting myself to overcrowded unsanitary conditions and roads are not safe for bikes.

Diesel engines kick out carcinogenic particulates that we've known about for decades: I can only guess at why the government promoted diesel vehicles so heavily. :fuming:

Things are coming back to bite us on the ar$e: I hope the voting electorate remember who is responsible for all of this.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sun May 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Plus Rebbonk public transport like busses put their recycled air conditioner on so if some coughs or sneezes your breathing it in it was shown in the news paper in a shop at a till an example on how air conditioning spreads it further.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Sun May 10, 2020 4:10 pm

It wouldn't be so bad if people covered their mouth when coughing or nose when sneezing but they don't anymore I've noticed! :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 10, 2020 4:26 pm

Melisandre wrote:Plus Rebbonk public transport like busses put their recycled air conditioner on so if some coughs or sneezes your breathing it in it was shown in the news paper in a shop at a till an example on how air conditioning spreads it further.

Which is why 'social distancing' ( :rolling: ) or masks on aircraft is pointless.
rebbonk

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 10, 2020 4:29 pm

dutchman wrote:It wouldn't be so bad if people covered their mouth when coughing or nose when sneezing but they don't anymore I've noticed! :roll:

Most of the good manners I grew up with have all but disappeared from society. Tried catching a bus in Trinity St recently? - Head down, scrum up!
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sun May 10, 2020 4:35 pm

I've only just qualified for a bus pass and now I'm being told I mustn't use it! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News