Rugby hospital nurse dies of suspected Covid-19

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Rugby hospital nurse dies of suspected Covid-19

Postby dutchman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:25 pm

A nurse with asthma has died of suspected coronavirus after displaying symptoms at work, her daughter said

Sister Leilani Dayrit, 47, who was based at St Cross Hospital in Rugby, had been self-isolating at home for seven days before she died.

Mary Dayrit, 19, said her mother had stopped breathing and paramedics were unable to revive her on Tuesday.

She said: "My mum was selfless until the very end," adding she "put other people's wellbeing before her own".

"Me and dad tried to revive her as she'd stopped breathing and paramedics tried their best but couldn't," she said.

More than £8,000 has been donated on a GoFundMe page to help Mrs Dayrit's family.

In a post on the site, Ms Dayrit said: "My mother was a compassionate woman who always put other people's happiness and wellbeing before her own.

"My mum was selfless until the very end and made sure to spread joy, happiness and love to anyone that ever needed it."

Professor Andy Hardy, chief executive at University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust, confirmed the death of a member of staff at St Cross Hospital, but said Covid-19 has not been confirmed.

It said "all our thoughts" were with her family, friends and colleagues.

"The trust is doing everything it can to support both the family and our staff during this very difficult and distressing time," he added.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Rugby hospital nurse dies of suspected Covid-19

Postby Melisandre » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:04 pm

They should refuse to work with out full protective equipment. R.I.P

I am not surprised of the amount of deaths here as over the years there has been a huge increase in deaths in this country .

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/s ... gnoring-it
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:57 pm

Interesting article Melisandre.

I used to teach statistics and show how easy it was to misuse them. For years we were told that in this country we were living longer.

Statistically, that was true. However, there were underlying things that were often conveniently overlooked, the main one being that infant mortality had been dramatically reduced. This, of course, shifted the mean upwards!
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:15 pm

Thank you Rebbonk yes there is always a way to contrive ways of deciet and turn it to look good.

It will be interesting to know in future years under the freedom of information act how many really did actually die of this Covid 19 as many doctors are saying the numbers are being fiddled by normal deaths..
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 pm

Melisandre wrote:It will be interesting to know in future years under the freedom of information act how many really did actually die of this Covid 19 as many doctors are saying the numbers are being fiddled by normal deaths..

I'm not sure we'll ever know Melisandre. I'm not sure if the authorities really know. Many deaths will have happened anyway and it strikes me that if people have tested positive for coronavirus and die that's what's being recorded.

From my own recent experience of recording a death and the reason, it seems rather hit and miss if the truth is written down where there might be doubt or more than one reason. The hospital Medical Examiner made a suggestion to me and asked if I was prepared to agree and accept the reason! He also asked me if I agreed with the time of death. Even then the death certificate didn't quite say what I'd agreed to.

My brother had a similar experience with the family GP who had actually refused to turn out to certify mum's death. In the end, two paramedics completed half of the paperwork and the doctor the other half (begrudgingly) over the phone.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Return to News