"Hospital appeal for iPads so dying patients can see their loved ones"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

"Hospital appeal for iPads so dying patients can see their loved ones"

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:51 pm

All visiting has been suspended at the hospital due to coronavirus restrictions

Hospital staff hope to be able to use iPads so that those facing end of life care don’t miss out on seeing their family one last time.

Due to coronavirus restrictions all patient visiting has been suspended at hospitals in Coventry and Warwickshire, and across the rest of the country.

It means people whose relatives are dying in hospital can’t see their loved ones.

Hospital staff at UHCW are encouraging relatives to keep in touch with patients, who can make free phone calls to landlines from their hospital beds.

And now, staff have gone one step further and are fundraising to buy iPads so that people can see and talk to their loved ones remotely.

Due to infection control, the trust can’t accept donated iPads, so they are fundraising to buy 60 new iPads to offer their patients.

A spokesman for UHCW said: “Thank you for all of your ongoing help and support – we are overwhelmed by your generosity.”

You can donate to the appeal by text or online.

To donate by text, text ‘NHSHEROES 5’, ‘NHSHEROES 10’ or NHSHEROES 20’ to 70480 to donate £5, £10, or £20.

To donate online, visit http://www.justgiving.com/campaign/nhsheroes or http://www.virginmoneygiving.com/fund/nhsheroes

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: "Hospital appeal for iPads so dying patients can see their loved ones"

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:55 pm

Why iPads when any cheap Android tablet will work just as well? :roll:

Due to infection control, the trust can’t accept donated iPads

That's total horseshit as any computer renovator can tell you. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:22 am

I'd like to think that the reporter has got this wrong.

How does an 'infected' iPad within the hospital get reused?

Gripes about the story aside, I've heard some horrible stories about people dying alone. Having been through people dying, twice recently, I can only begin to imagine how those left behind must be feeling. As for those that died without family there, I really have no words. To depart this world alone, and know you are, must be truly dreadful.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:29 pm

dutchman wrote:Why iPads when any cheap Android tablet will work just as well? :roll:

Due to infection control, the trust can’t accept donated iPads

That's total horseshit as any computer renovator can tell you. :fuming:

I agree Dutchman .
Who will get these ipads when its all over and how many will go missing like other things have for decades upon decades in hospitals when I was young it was flannels and fancy towels you took in went missing and it was known to be staff who took them.
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:32 pm

rebbonk wrote:I'd like to think that the reporter has got this wrong.

How does an 'infected' iPad within the hospital get reused?

Gripes about the story aside, I've heard some horrible stories about people dying alone. Having been through people dying, twice recently, I can only begin to imagine how those left behind must be feeling. As for those that died without family there, I really have no words. To depart this world alone, and know you are, must be truly dreadful.

Welcome to the future of the old eastern block countries but worse reduced wages as well etc .
Melisandre

Return to News