Man arrested after paramedic left with broken jaw in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Man arrested after paramedic left with broken jaw in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:27 pm

An ambulance was crashed into following the incident

A man has been arrested after an incident left a paramedic with a broken jaw in Coventry.

The emergency services were called to Winifred Avenue in Earlsdon, just before 9pm yesterday (Sunday, March 5).

Paramedics were called after a man reported suffering breathing difficulties.

However, the 21-year-old is alleged to have lashed out while demanding an inhaler - punching a paramedic in the face.

The offender drove off in a car, colliding with the ambulance as he left the scene.

Traffic officers from West Midlands Police detained the man from a vehicle on Holyhead Road at around 1pm today.

He has been arrested on suspicion of wounding, driving off from the scene of a collision, plus criminal damage as it’s suspected he damaged a door at a GP’s surgery.

The West Midlands Ambulance Service paramedic remains in hospital today with a suspected broken jaw.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Man arrested after paramedic left with broken jaw in Coventry

Postby Melisandre » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:34 pm

I bet the emergency services wont be going out to him and rightly so.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 pm

What the hell is wrong with these people?
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:58 pm

Melisandre wrote:I bet the emergency services wont be going out to him and rightly so.

Amazingly they will! I wouldn't :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:37 pm

Man charged over 'brutal' attack that left paramedic with broken jaw

A man has been charged with wounding over an attack on a paramedic that left the frontline worker with a broken jaw.

Jamie Davies, 21. allegedly lashed out after the ambulance crew was called to his home in Winifred Avenue, Earlsdon.

Davies was arrested yesterday (Tuesday, April 7) and has now been charged with wounding, plus one count of dangerous driving as he’s accused of colliding with the ambulance as he drove from the scene.

In an update on the case, West Midlands Police described the incident on Sunday as a "brutal" attack on a paramedic.

The force said: "We wish him all the best in his recovery."

Davies also faces charges of driving with no licence or insurance, and criminal damage in relation to an incident at a doctor’s surgery in Baliol Road, Coventry, on March 31 when a glass door pane was broken.

He was due to appear at Coventry Magistrates Court today (Wednesday, April 7).

The 40-year-old paramedic – who has worked with West Midlands Ambulance Service (WMAS) for more than six years – required surgery to insert a metal plate into his fractured jaw.

He is now out of hospital and recovering at home; it’s expected he may be away from work for several months.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:26 pm

My ex-sister-in-law's son was jailed last week. I mentioned it to my daughter in passing. Daughter informs me that he deliberately committed crimes until he was locked up, because he was homeless!
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm

dutchman wrote:
Melisandre wrote:I bet the emergency services wont be going out to him and rightly so.

Amazingly they will! I wouldn't :fuming:

Neither would I Dutchman .
Melisandre

Postby Melisandre » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:08 pm

rebbonk wrote:My ex-sister-in-law's son was jailed last week. I mentioned it to my daughter in passing. Daughter informs me that he deliberately committed crimes until he was locked up, because he was homeless!

When he comes out he will be given a place as they have to have an address to go to.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:49 pm

Coventry man jailed after admitting attack on paramedic

A man who broke the jaw of a student paramedic has been jailed.

Chris Cooling, 40, was part of a crew called to treat Jamie Davies in Earlsdon, Coventry, after he reported having breathing difficulties.

Davies then punched Mr Cooling in the face, breaking his jaw so badly it needed a metal plate inserted.

Davies, 22, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Coventry Crown Court on Tuesday and sentenced to seven years and two months in prison.

Mr Cooling, who is yet to return to work due to ongoing pain and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, since the attack on 5 April, said it had had a "massive impact".

West Midlands Police said when the paramedics arrived they could find nothing wrong with Davies, who had made six 999 calls in just over an hour and been seen by paramedics already that evening.

He demanded an inhaler and when Mr Cooling walked away, Davies punched him, the force said.

Davies drove away, hitting the ambulance, but was found by officers behind the wheel of his damaged Vauxhall Meriva.

Davies, of Winifred Drive, also admitted a charge of possession of class A drugs, and one of damaging property.

As well as the seven-year jail term, he was banned from driving for three years.

Davies denied a charge of assault by beating and another of damaging property, which will lie on file.

:bbc_news:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:19 pm

As well as the seven-year jail term, he was banned from driving for three years.

Bit academic isn't it?
rebbonk

Next

Return to News