Nuneaton foodbank hit by surge in demand during coronavirus lockdown

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Nuneaton foodbank hit by surge in demand during coronavirus lockdown

Postby dutchman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:15 pm

Adults and children alike have needed help to survive

Under pressure foodbank volunteers faced a surge in the demand for help across Nuneaton during the first week coronavirus lockdown.

In the past week alone 150 people, 60 of which were children, have reached out for help to ensure they have food to eat.

David Stanier, chair of the Nuneaton Foodbank, said: "This is a big increase on our weekly total."

It comes at a time when the foodbank has been battling to keep its drop-in sessions open.

But the hard-working volunteers have been humbled by the response from the community.

In fact, many 'sought-after' items, such as pasta, have been freely handed over at collection points.

"As many of our normal collection points are unavailable, we are very grateful to the generous members of the public, who have been making donations of food items at the Nneaton supermarkets," he said.

"We are very touched that people are donating items that are 'limited' and extremely grateful for them.

"I can't emphasise enough how grateful we are to all of our volunteers, and to all the generous people in Nuneaton who are helping us support those in need.

They are aware that making donations is not easy during the coronavirus lockdown, so there is a dedicated section on the website where people can make cash donations - and it is having a big impact.

"This is helping us enormously, as we are having to purchase more items where we can, with help from a number of the supermarkets," he said.

At the moment, the foodbank warehouse is running low on jars of pasta sauce, tinned potatoes, tinned fruit, tinned meat and stews.

Those who would like to make a donation of food can do so at the drop-in points in Asda, Sainsburys, Attleborough Co-op, Bulkington Co-op, Galley Common Co-op and Yorkshire bank.

The link to make a cash donation can be found here

Anyone who can donate their time to volunteer at the foodbank should email nfbvolunteers@gmail.com

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Nuneaton foodbank hit by surge in demand during coronavirus lockdown

Postby Melisandre » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:47 pm

They will be lucky to find any pasta every shop I know have nt had any for over a month.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:47 am

Here's a thought, most of us probably have a tin or packet of something we bought by mistake and have no intention of ever using lurking at the back of a cupboard. :idea: Why not dig it out and donate it?
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:19 am

I have thought of this Dutchman its a great idea and have occationally bought and donated to the food bank but if you took a tin out of the cupboard from home and went into the likes of Tesco their food bank would you be allowed or accused of not paying for the tins having no reciept even though it was bought at Tesco .
Such a difference between Nuneaton and Bedworth as Bedworth Tesco's food bank box is always full even with the panic buying. Nuneaton has Asda only and Tesco Express which is nt in the main town its in Croft Rd.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:05 pm

I have always found the people of Bedworth far more generous than those from Nuneaton, Melisandre.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:13 pm

Melisandre wrote:I have thought of this Dutchman its a great idea and have occationally bought and donated to the food bank but if you took a tin out of the cupboard from home and went into the likes of Tesco their food bank would you be allowed or accused of not paying for the tins having no reciept even though it was bought at Tesco .

That problem did occur to me Melisandre. It would help if the donation points were placed next to the entrance of a supermarket rather than the exit as is sometimes currently the case. It's especially difficult to donate at Morrisons at present due to the virus restrictions.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Fri May 15, 2020 8:25 pm

Full list of essential supplies urgently needed by foodbank

Foodbank volunteers say they are facing a 'significant shortfall' in some essential supplies as they battle to keep up with demand for help.

They have an ever growing wish-list of items they desperately need in order to keep making up the emergency food parcels that hundreds of people across Nuneaton rely on to eat.

In fact they have been having to use reserves to buy some of the foods.

Latest figures show that, since April 19, Nuneaton Foodbank has distributed food to 332 people, including 104 children.

David Stanier, chair of the Nuneaton branch, explained that they have had a huge and very welcome donation from Tesco - but they still need help.

"Nuneaton Foodbank has gratefully received 3.3 tons of food since this initiative began, and this has really helped us," he said.

"However, because this is such a large project for Tesco to organise, foodbanks have absolutely no control over what food is being sent to them, and despite these deliveries, for which we are very grateful, we have significant shortfalls in a considerable number of essential items which we need to make up food parcels.

"We would ask pepole to please, please continue to donate food items from our shopping list.

"Although we have had had a huge donation and it look as if we are well supplied across all food types – this is not the case, and we are still having to purchase items locally in order to make up food parcels."

What is needed

• Tinned potatoes;
  • Instant mashed potato;
  • Tinned carrots
  • Tinned spaghetti
  • Tinned macaroni
  • Tinned ravioli
  • Tnned spaghetti bolognaise
  • Tinned sausage and beans in one can
  • Plain uncooked packet rice
  • Jars of pasta sauce
  • Squash/Cordial
  • Hot dogs
  • Tinned stews
  • Tinned meatballs
  • Tinned curry
  • Sponge puddings /Angel delight/jellies; tinned fruit
  • Vegetarian items
  • Male and female deodorants
  • Shower gel
  • Hair shampoo
  • Bars of soap
  • Shaving gel/foam
  • Safety razors
  • Washing powder
  • Washing pods
  • Washing up liquid
  • Kitchen roll
  • Tin openers
Those who would like to make a donation of food can do so at the drop-in points in Asda, Sainsburys, Attleborough Co-op, Bulkington Co-op, Galley Common Co-op and Yorkshire bank.

Cash donations can also be made to help pay towards food, these can be made via the website here

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sun May 17, 2020 12:14 am

I had difficulty finding cordial/squash myself. Ended up having to buy a stupidly huge two-litre bottle which doesn't fit in anything. :clown:

Likewise some toilet rolls are only available in hoarder-sized multi packs I can't even carry. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Sun May 17, 2020 9:28 am

The little local shops will sell the smaller packets of toilet paper and squash.
Melisandre

Postby rebbonk » Sun May 17, 2020 12:34 pm

I buy 2 litres sized cordials, and leave them on the work-top.

You have my sympathies as regards the toilet rolls. I last bought a pack of 16 (I think) and they'll last me through to Christmas, at the very least. And without the car, I'd not have been able to carry them with the rest of my shopping. They're now taking up space in my spare room.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Next

Return to News