Here's what's happening with bin collections in Coventry

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Here's what's happening with bin collections in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm

Advice has also been issued for residents on how to handle their waste during the outbreak by Coventry City Council

The city council has promised to ensure there will be “minimal disruption” to bin collection services in Coventry during the coronavirus pandemic after some collections were missed.

Bosses at Coventry City Council have pledged to return with more bin crews in the week and weekend for any residents who do not get their bins collected during the outbreak.

“In the light of the challenges raised by coronavirus, our waste and recycling service are working hard to ensure the service continues with minimal disruption,” the authority said on its website.

“So, if you have had your bin collection missed, please leave it out.

“Our crews will be returning to pick them up throughout the week and into the weekend.”

Further guidance is expected to be issued by the authority in the coming days but council chiefs said they hope to keep the service running smoothly.

It comes after guidance from Prime Minister Boris Johnson that all but key workers should stay inside.

“We are looking at keeping the essential services going,” Cllr Pat Hetherton, cabinet member for city services, said.

“We are looking at making sure the normal collections are being done.”

Advice has also been issued about the handling of waste by residents, especially from households where someone has tested positive for, or is showing the symptoms of the Covid-19.

In particular, waste such as used tissues or cleaning cloths should now be double-bagged before being put out for collection even if you have a wheelie bin.

The government’s website states: “Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths can be stored securely within disposable rubbish bags.

“These bags should be placed into another bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste.

“This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste bin.

“Other household waste can be disposed of as normal.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Here's what's happening with bin collections in Coventry

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Bin collection delays expected in Coventry due to staffing levels

Delays are expected to bin collection services in Coventry due to staffing levels, the council’s head of waste has said.

Bosses say the service is operating as normal during the coronavirus outbreak.

But some disruption is expected with sickness levels “a little higher than usual”, a spokesman for the authority told the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Some members of staff have also been self-isolating due to Covid-19 putting pressure on the service.

Extra bin crews are returning in the week and weekend for any residents who do not get their bins collected.

Despite the staffing challenges which may result in some delays, the council has said it will try to minimise the disruption and carry out the normal service.

Head of waste, Sarah Elliott, said in an email to councillors: “Waste collection services are currently operating as normal.

“We are experiencing some challenges with staffing levels which may cause some delays for residents.

“Where required we are working on Saturdays to ensure that disruption is minimised as far as possible.

“If the situation worsens and we are required to change collection arrangements we will ensure that residents are informed.”

Residents are also being urged to double-bag waste such as used tissues or cleaning cloths to help prevent the spread of Covid-19.

Elsewhere, bulky waste collections have also been suspended.

The London Road skip has also closed temporarily as the city council said not enough people were keeping the required two-metre distance.

dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:05 pm

Closing the tip was a mistake in my opinion as we now have an increase in fly tipping! :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:00 pm

We certainly do!

I live right on the edge of the city, and noticed this morning that a load had been fly-tipped in front of the farmer's gate. Whilst this isn't unusual in itself, the usual refuse is household goods: what I saw today I'd be more inclined to describe as industrial waste. :fuming:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm

The communal bin area here looked like a warzone last night, broken furniture everywhere. I had to be very careful where I trod.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:24 pm

dutchman wrote:I had to be very careful where I trod.

Something else I've noticed, a proliferation of dog sh*t! Maybe we have a few novice dog walkers? :roll:
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Postby Melisandre » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:48 pm

You can still hire skips .
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Bin collection as normal in Spon End this morning (8.00am) :applause:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 pm

That's good to hear Dutchman at least you wont need to watch your footing now :smile: ours was on time too on Friday thank goodness.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm the first to congratulate workmen when they do their job well and under difficult circumstances too! :thumbsup:
dutchman
Site Admin

Next

Return to News