"Bare shelves in Coventry and Nuneaton supermarkets as coronavirus fears surge"

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Re: "Bare shelves in Coventry and Nuneaton supermarkets as coronavirus fears surge"

Postby rebbonk » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:55 pm

A quick nip around Tesco just before lunchtime and the place was almost deserted. I not only got all the food I wanted but found soap, toilet paper and pet foods.

One thing I did notice and laugh about, was that they had spots on the floor to ensure 6 feet between shoppers if they were queuing for the tills, but it was impossible for two passing shoppers to remain 6 feet apart when passing in the aisles.

I also noticed a distinct lack of personal hygiene on some of the other shoppers I passed. I guess not going to work has allowed people to get sloppy.
Of course it'll fit; you just need a bigger hammer.
rebbonk

Re: "Bare shelves in Coventry and Nuneaton supermarkets as coronavirus fears surge"

Postby dutchman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:19 pm

rebbonk wrote:A quick nip around Tesco just before lunchtime and the place was almost deserted.

They're all in Morrisons is why! :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:14 pm

A trip to Tesco just before lunch took me slightly longer today. There was a small queue to get in, but it was moving. The checkout was busy, I'd have thought they could have opened more tills up.

The only stock shortage I noticed was pasta.
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Morrisons drafted in support staff to man their tills, people I'd never seen before. The only thing completely missing was tinned tomatoes. Most of the small shops around here have closed indefinitely.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby Melisandre » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Brits urged to buy fish as UK export markets are cut off

I am sure most tin tomatoes come from Italy. News above for other stuff.
Melisandre

Postby dutchman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Indeed Melisandre, the tinned variety comes from the Adriatic region of Italy. In theory it could come from Yugoslavia too but I've yet to see any from there.

Would that I could buy more fish but the local chippy has closed and the frozen variety is in short supply. :fuming:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:16 pm

I'd happily buy more fish, but I also don't see it in frozen packages. I did buy a pack of prawns today though. :D
rebbonk

Postby dutchman » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:44 pm

How come the pizza counter is still open at Morrisons when every other food counter is closed? :roll:
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby dutchman » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:57 pm

No queues or major shortages at Morrisons this evening, despite newspaper headlines yesterday suggesting otherwise.

I took the opportunity to stock up on chicken soup because that may be the only thing I can eat if I go down with 'flu.
dutchman
Site Admin

Postby rebbonk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:47 pm

I've always got a few soup sachets in Dutchman. Perfect if ill, but also good for stew bases.
rebbonk

PreviousNext

Return to News