Frustration at year-long wait for 30mph sign

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Frustration at year-long wait for 30mph sign

Postby dutchman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 pm

The speed limit has been halved - but drivers are none the wiser

A year-long wait for a 30mph sign in a rural Coventry street continues to drag on.

The speed limit on Wall Hill Road, Allesley, was halved at the start of 2019 after a campaign, but drivers are none the wiser as there are no road signs to inform of the new limit.

A year on, ward councillor Glenn Williams raised the issue to the cabinet member responsible for the city’s roads at full council on Tuesday, January 14.

“It has been nearly a year,” he said.

“What we want to do is some community speed watches which we can’t do without the proper signs as residents still think it is 60mph when it is in fact 30mph.”

Speaking after the meeting, Cllr Williams said the issue of speeding on the rural road had residents “pretty worried”.

He said: “There have been some near misses on there and a couple of accidents. Residents are pretty worried.

“The council did not want to change the speed limit from 60mph.

“A resident contacted me at the time as it is by residential houses and it is on a bend and people are going fast.

“We had petitions and I was knocking on doors, this went on for a long time but earlier last year the council put out a regulation order and it was agreed to be 30mph on that one section of the road and 40mph on the other.

“The speed limit signs have not gone up. I am constantly told we are getting them but where are they?”

When asked when the new signs will be in place, Cllr Pat Hetherton, cabinet member for city services, said the council is still waiting for an installation date, but pledged to “investigate and respond accordingly”.

Coventry City Council has been asked for a reason for the delay and if any date for the new signs is forthcoming, but is yet to respond.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News