Coventry is about to get its own cat cafe

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry is about to get its own cat cafe

Postby dutchman » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:45 pm

It has been met with some opposition though...

Coventry looks set to welcome a new cafe to the city centre - one that will be purrrrfect for feline fans.

Signs for The Cat Lounge have been spotted on a previously empty unit on Market Way in recent days, with renovation work seemingly taking place inside.

Further signs on the door of the unit suggest that it is "opening soon", though no opening date is currently known.

It is thought it will be Coventry 's first cat cafe, putting the city in good company with neighbouring cat cafe's in Stratford to the south and Birmingham to the north.

And they are hiring people in the city, with instructions for interviewees also posted on the door to the unit.

At this time, very little is actually known about the new establishment.

There does not appear to be any planning applications submitted in regards to this new cafe - though this is not a complete surprise given its former use.

The unit, at 26 Market Way, was in use until summer 2019, when the Amber Caffe closed its doors - having gone into liquidation .

As a result, there is not thought to be any need for the occupants to change the use of the premises.

Nearby Warwickshire's Shakespaw recently celebrated its first birthday.

Despite the growing popularity of cat cafe's across the UK, Coventry's has been met with some opposition.

A petition, submitted to Coventry City Council is objecting to the opening, arguing that it would be "an unsuitable environment for animals and they should not be exploited for the purposes of selling food".

"The Cat Lounge should not be permitted to open in Coventry, nor any other cat café," the petition said.

Currently, the petition has 84 signatures, and can be viewed here.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry is about to get its own cat cafe

Postby dutchman » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:49 pm

Coventry's Cat Cafe is now open

Coventry's newest attraction - a city centre cat cafe, is now open.

The Cat Lounge, located in the former Amber Caffe on Market Way, opened its doors for feline fans yesterday (December 5).

A unique concept for the city , it allows visitors to enjoy a drink and a slice of cake in the company of a small number of cats, who live freely inside the cafe.

Owner Paul Giltenan and daughter Katie, who run the cafe, revealed that they have a licence for up to 10 cats at the premises, though currently there are only six.

Speaking following a successful first day, Paul said: "We got the idea after Katie went to a cat cafe as a customer. She said wow, so I went to have a look myself and loved it.

"It really helps people I think, it's good for stress and anxiety.

"We've opened in Coventry because it's where I live, and we need to get to the cats when the cafe's closed, on Mondays.

"It was a lot of hard work getting the licence. We didn't need planning permission, but we had to get our landlord's - Coventry City Council, animal welfare, environmental health etc. in beforehand."

The cats , who are all pedigree, range in size, age, and character, live in the cafe full time - though they have two private rooms that are not accessible to the public should they wish to retire for a little peace and quiet.

What's more, there are hiding spots within the cafe itself, high up on the walls, for the cats to get away if they want.

Two doors prevent the cats from escaping the main entrance, while kitchen and food preparation areas are off limits to the cats.

Each of the cats was chosen with two considerations in mind - how they get on with other cats, and how they get on with people.

Paul said: "We've got six cats at the minute. They are: Tigger, Casper, Laurel, Hardy, Bagpuss, and Marmalade.

"We're looking to maybe go to eight in the future.

"At the moment, customers are able to walk in, with no booking needed, but we'll see what happens. We might go to online bookings.

"We'll have a maximum of 16 customers at any time. It could be fewer, but won't be any more.

"There'll also be animal care on site at all times, and all of the cats are regularly checked up at the vets."

he Cat Lounge is open from 10am to 6pm Tuesday to Saturday, and 11am to 4/5pm on a Sunday.

Children under the age of 10 are not permitted to enter the cafe.

Entry is £1 for five minutes, or £6 for 30 minutes.

A drink comes with the 30 minute slot, while a selection of cakes and crisps are also available for purchase.

The owners confirmed that they may look to expand on the menu in future.

dutchman
Site Admin

Re: Coventry is about to get its own cat cafe

Postby dutchman » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:36 pm

Sadness as popular Coventry café to shut forever as customers say they 'loved it'

A quirky family-run café will soon be closing its doors in Coventry. The Cat Lounge, on Market Way, will shut for the final time in April.

The Cat Lounge has proven to be popular with locals since opening in 2019. It has been a much-loved part of the city centre over the past four years but will be closing for good on Saturday, April 20.

Owners Paul and Katie said they have 'loved' their time there describing it as an 'absolute pleasure.' Customers have described the closure as a 'shame' with many hoping they will be reopening elsewhere in Coventry.

Owners Paul and Katie said: “We will be permanently closing our doors on Saturday, April 20 at 6pm. We ask that you please be respectful during this transition and refrain from asking the staff any questions.

“We would like to thank you for all the support over the past four and a half years, it has been an absolute pleasure! Thanks, Paul and Katie.”

Customers have shared their sadness about the closure on Facebook. Alan Tee said: “Such a loss to the city!”

Judith McAllister wrote: “We are so sad to hear this. The Cat Lounge has been a sanctuary, a little oasis of calm and safety, while storms have been raging all around for our family over the last year. I do not imagine you will ever truly know the wonderful impact you have had.”

Daniel Tones said: “Oh, that is a real shame! I know you would not have taken the decision lightly so I really wish you all the best, I know this will be hard for you! If you do decide to relaunch whether in Coventry or elsewhere I will certainly be coming!”

Debi Wooliscroft wrote: “Such a sad thing. Wish you all the best and hope you know that people are here to help should you need us.”

Geri Wilson commented: “I am so sorry to hear this. I absolutely loved your shop and the cats.”

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News