Coventry nurse at breaking point after ceiling collapses

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Coventry nurse at breaking point after ceiling collapses

Postby dutchman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:52 pm

The tenant says she is on the verge of a breakdown

An NHS nurse from Coventry says she is at breaking point after a bathroom leak caused part of her ceiling to collapse sending water and waste cascading through her home.

Hannah Ryan, 60, has lived in her Midland Heart maintained property for 28 years.

But for the last four she says she has been complaining of a blocked pipe which has left her without a flushing toilet and having to scoop away waste with her hands.

But after years of fighting, she has warned the landlord company they will find her dead if they're unable resolve her housing crisis.

Miss Ryan works 12 hours shifts in her job as an NHS nurse, and says that she "just wants a home to come to."

Miss Ryan and her daughter Kat Ryan, aged 30, spoke to CoventryLive together to detail the issues.

In a statement, Midland Heart apologised for the distress caused by the situation but stressed the property was safe to live in and that the ceiling would be repaired as a matter of priority.

Miss Ryan and daughter Kat claim there have been "repeated failings" from Midland Heart to tackle the issues that could have caused the collapse.

Speaking to CoventryLive , Miss Ryan said she "just doesn't know what to do anymore" and is worn down after years of trying to get help.

She thinks the ceiling issues have stemmed from blocked waste pipes that lead from the bathroom, an issue which she says she has called Midland Heart about for the past four years.

Miss Ryan has not had a flushing toilet for four years, and said: "I have had to put my hand down the toilet every time to dispose of the waste myself.

"I can't go on like this."

The blocked pipes are behind a persistent ceiling leak she believes,, which led to the whole ceiling collapse on Tuesday 19 November.

Miss Ryan said: "I would really rather be at work than home. I work twelve hour shifts and just want a home to come back to.

"I've been a good tenant, always paid my rent, I can't cope."

Daughter Kat has come back from travelling the world to help her mum navigate what she describes as a "crisis."

She said: "My mum has had a breakdown, she's had enough, she works 12 hour shifts at the local hospital four days a week, is on her feet all day, she just wants to live a simple life."

As of Friday 22 November, Ms Ryan's says her house is not safe to live in, something Midland Heart disagreed with in a statement saying Miss Ryan is safe to remain in her home until the ceiling is repaired.

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News