Nuneaton hair salon beats the odds to win national award

Local, national, international and oddball news stories

Nuneaton hair salon beats the odds to win national award

Postby dutchman » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Owner Louise Long was told not to set up the salon but she did - and it's thriving

A hair and beauty salon in Nuneaton has won a prestigious National Award that has recognised its rapid success as a new business.

Xtra Lengths beauty salon in Camp Hill scooped the title of best new hair salon at the National Hair and Beauty Awards in October.

Owner Louise Long operates the salon on a unique business model which has made treatments affordable for the local area. She has worked against the odds to stay open despite recent tragedy and spoke to CoventryLive about what the award meant to her.

Mrs Long opened Xtra Lengths hair and beauty salon in October 2018 in Camp Hill Road despite warnings from friends and family that it could be difficult. She says she suffers from poor health but after her husband was diagnosed with cancer wanted to find a new challenge.

"I didn't know what to do with myself," she told us.

"Everyone didn't want me to do it. I was in and out of hospital but it was something that I wanted to do, it is something that I love.

"This is the first time I've owned a business."

The salon sits right in the heart of the Camp Hill estate in Nuneaton, and at a time when affording beauty treatments can feel out of reach for some, Mrs Long clocked on to a clever business idea.

"We decided that we wanted to keep the prices affordable for everybody because not everybody can afford luxury.

"I said I wouldn't put my prices up too much so that everybody could afford to come and have a treat.

"In the last six months people are realising that we are there, word has spread about our prices, people are coming in on recommendations and it is growing quickly."

dutchman
Site Admin

Return to News